Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Help with Police Bayonet

Article about: Hi guys, I need your opinion on this police bayonet. it is a cut down version of the Weimar which has been adapted for the third reich period. If someone could comment on originality of the

?

Default Help with Police Bayonet

Hi guys, I need your opinion on this police bayonet. it is a cut down version of the Weimar which has been adapted for the third reich period. If someone could comment on originality of the piece would be highly appreciated. Is there any red flags? I feel like the frog is to clean and could be a reproduction.

Best kmalla.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Police Bayonet   Help with Police Bayonet  

Help with Police Bayonet   Help with Police Bayonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with Police Bayonet
    P
    Many

U have to be very very careful before buying such items.

?

Polizei Schule Brandenburg could be the stamp, normally the scabbard should be similar marked, is possible there was new grips mounted as the head of them are inside the grip and are not typical shortage. But this could be period done, the frog is not detailed visible but could be proper with porteepee.

I believe that mark is Brandenburg Police School. The alloy rivets are countersunk a little deeper than normal, and the grip plates don't appear to be the usual shorten plates with a filled in hole, however I'm comfortable with these post Weimar modifications as being Third Reich period. The modifications that occurred around 1936 were done by the company armourers, with some variation of skill. A broken grip plate would be replaced.

?

Hi guys, thanks for your feedback. Here are two more pictures. The scabbard is marked with the same number.

@Anderson: I am with you. Usually they have new holes drilled into them but this could be an full exchange of the grip plates. The blade has definitly been shortend from Weimar length. You can see that from the fuller running all the way down to the tip (but that is period typical). Do you think it is origional?

Help with Police Bayonet Help with Police Bayonet

Yes. These Police School side arms would be issued a number of times so multiple accountability numbers is not uncommon.

I like the look of this one and agree with the points made about the modification process.

One thing I am unsure about is that I was under the impression that the items without the bayonet boss slot and release catch were all TR manufacture? Probably just a gap in my understanding but if somebody could close that gap for me I would appreciate it. I don't think I am the only one with that idea

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

There were both Police issue side arms that had a mortice slot such as a true bayonet would have, and others that did not. And this was for both the Weimar period and TR. They seem to be used interchangeably as neither was intended to be fitted to a rifle.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    There were both Police issue side arms that had a mortice slot such as a true bayonet would have, and others that did not. And this was for both the Weimar period and TR. They seem to be used interchangeably as neither was intended to be fitted to a rifle.
    Thanks Peter, I was aware of he two types but just thought that the non-slotted version was only TR period. Now I know better

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

This example looks like nice piece. I do agree the rivets seem applied further into the stag grip plate but the rivets themselves look period and that itself is good to see.

There is a scarcity out there of good reference material on Polizei bayonets. As a result, I believe good concrete knowledge on this fascinating topic is also scarce.

There’s a lot of confusion about the refitting process of former Weimar sidearms into 3R examples because this wasn’t an exact science but done in different locations by different people, some taking great care to preserve the aesthetic beauty of the item while others simply slapping things together. This is why we see some grip plates fitted extremely well with no evidence of prior rivet holes whereas others may show poor grinding with obvious holes haphazardly filled in with wax or in some cases not filled in at all. Some blade tips were clearly ground down by a master while others won’t look so nice.

The only real way to get a feel for what is likely period and what isn’t is to study these interesting objects. Someday I do hope a reference focusing on all the many variations comes out.