Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Horster police bayonet opinions

Article about: Hi All, I hope you can give me your thoughts on this Bayonet. It looks genuine to me, however I am aware the German WW2 stuff is frequently copied, and I am no expert. The blade needs a clea

Default Horster police bayonet opinions

Hi All,

I hope you can give me your thoughts on this Bayonet.
    It looks genuine to me, however I am aware the German WW2 stuff is frequently copied, and I am no expert.
    The blade needs a clean, there is some loss to the plating and rust where it has been in contact with the internals of the scabbard.
    There is also some corrosion evident on the aluminum rivets, presumably this indicates less than ideal storage at some stage of its life.
    It also missing the staple on the scabbard throat.
    Overall however its in sound condition, and to me these really are impressive looking pieces.
    It is also stamped which I assume are some sort of issue marks?
    Anyhow, your expertise would be much appreciated,

HG
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Horster police bayonet opinions   Horster police bayonet opinions  

Horster police bayonet opinions   Horster police bayonet opinions  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Horster police bayonet opinions
    P
    Many

An authentic Polizei seitengewehr made by E & F Horster in the Weimar Republic era. It is in reasonably good condition and could be tidied up.
    The blade was shortened around 1935 (rather roughly) and TR era grip badge added. The Weimar era accountability marks match, which is good and mean; Schutzpolizei, Oppeln (now part of Poland), third district, weapon number 53.

?

Good is matching parts with scabbard, typical shortage of Polizei SG. Scabbard leather could be shrunked a little.

Well that is good news, much appreciated.
    I was a little concerned when I read in a couple of places that Horster had the rear rivet off to one side, this one does not they are largely in line.
    Also the nostrils on the eagle are not as formed as other Horster examples, though they are the same as some other manufacturers.
    Obviously there were variations even within manufacturers.
    So were these widely copied then? and if so what does one look for to determine a fake?
    There are some good sites explaining fakes for some of the other TR Daggers etc but nothing on these specifically, which makes me wonder if most examples tend to be original because of the fact there were lots made?
    The seller did have another but it was shorter again which I may look at.

Cheers,

HG

No problem here. As for rivet alignment, specific to a maker, that is doubtful. The large alloy rivets were likely fitted by Polizei armourers, along with other modifications in 1935, rather than individual manufacturers taking on the work. So any difference in positioning is likely to be more regional Police districts rather than maker related.
    These are faked, but they tend to be the late 1930's version with shorter 25cm blade. Some have tried to retro fit a KS98 bayonet as a Polizei SG. Usually fairly easy to spot.

?

"It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

I agree with Anderson's excellent assessment of the situation. Regarding faked Polizei bayonets, some are parts pieces with KS98 blades cobbled together with loose Polizei hilts.

There are complete reproductions out there that have fooled many collectors. They tend to be WKC marked, often with the slotted hilt. Sometimes they will have period scabbards, sometimes not. A frequent sign of a fake is the grip which on reproductions will often be a greyish type wood instead of staghorn.

These fakes fortunately are not often seen but I've observed them on Eban as well as sometimes even on a dealer's site.

A good sign of legitimacy for me is the the natural looking age/patination on the metal surfaces. This example being one of them. Best Regards, Fred

Thanks all,
    Its a great resource to be able to come here for assurance on these sorts of often copied items.
    I am interested in tracking down a frog, but I gather these are different to a regular K98 frog?
    Any ideas where I might find one?
    Also, correct me if I'm wrong but the pommel, tang ,guard and scabbard metalwork are made of pure nickel, while the blade is nickel plated?
    Its missing the staple from the locket end, were these just stapled or were they glued as well?
    Not sure if I should replace the staple or just leave it as is.
    Thanks,
    HG

?

It looks more like ALu cast or it could be brass cast and nickeled over, i dont believe nickel would be used as main metall. Question is the handle heavy so most real its more the brass cast or light then it could be other material Alu or different.