Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Police Bayonet Unit Markings, and letter B on spine?

Article about: Just looking over at this gorgeous police bayonet and the unit markings sort of peaked my interest... are these leftover from WWI or the Weimar era, and what unit was it? Also, what is the B

Default Police Bayonet Unit Markings, and letter B on spine?

Just looking over at this gorgeous police bayonet and the unit markings sort of peaked my interest... are these leftover from WWI or the Weimar era, and what unit was it? Also, what is the B on the spine of the blade a few inches down from the hilt?

Thx for any info on this ;-)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Police Bayonet Unit Markings, and letter B on spine?
    P
    Many

These Polizei bayonets were originally produced in the Weimar era with 17" blades. They were used into the 3R & eventually made shorter but grinding down the blades to 13" & shortening the grip plates. The originally present clamshell device was removed & the Weimar star grip emblem was swapped out in favor of a 3R eagle & swaz device. Many of these bayonets have withstood the test of time rather well & remain well conditioned.

The B spine marking is a acceptance or proof mark made by the Preußen armorer. The crossguard markings indicate:

S - Schutzpolizei (Municipal Police)
    D - Düsseldorf Administrative District
    V - Duty location 5
    451 - Weapon #451

FW Höller is not a common maker of these bayonets so this one is nice to see. Can you tell me if the scabbard top fitting also has the same markings as those on the crossguard?

Thx a bunch for the info, I will save it. I think I've tried to look just below the throat of the scabbard for markings and didn't get very far, it is fairly tight in a really nice frog and I didn't want to mess it up. I'll give it another try, maybe use a small inspection mirror.

Interesting, looking at the first pic, you can see the grind marks present from the removal of the clamshell device. The level of craftsmanship is very high, the reworking of the end of the blade and grinding of the fuller is really a work of art. It's one I'll never get tired of looking at, was very lucky to get it...

Took a little time this morning to look behind the throat of the scabbard for the matching numbers and yes ;-) Nailed a decent shot after a few tries, and a couple others, don't know that a camera really do one of these justice...

Blade is extrmely tight fitting to the scabbard, has a nice feel going in. The upper part of the top edge of the grip has the telltale pockmarking I've read about from use as a hammer for putting up notices...

?

a realy lovely piece!!

GEr

Wow billy nailed this one, good stuff, you have a nice bayo there!!

Default Questions

First, thank you for posting the questions on the bayonet and thank you for sharing your knowledge. I have one similar but made by a different manufacture. I have attached some photos and i was wondering if someone could explain the markings on mine.

Quote by grk41668 View Post
    First, thank you for posting the questions on the bayonet and thank you for sharing your knowledge. I have one similar but made by a different manufacture. I have attached some photos and i was wondering if someone could explain the markings on mine.
    Grk ..please start a new thread with your photos and your question.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill