Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Police Bayonet - WKC Non matching

Article about: Throwing this up here for feedback. Condition look OK. Not mint. Scabbard is non-matching unfortunately and not sure about the frog. Any thoughts? Michael

Nice Police bayo Map. Pictures make a big difference. I am happy you took a chance and was successful. Great addition.
    John

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Police Bayonet -  WKC Non matching
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    Michael,
    I like this bayonet even with it being mismatched. In my opinion the police bayonet is one of the most under appreciate Edged weapons, They are beautiful pieces of art.
    Quote by Rescue190 View Post
    Nice Police bayo Map. Pictures make a big difference. I am happy you took a chance and was successful. Great addition.
    John
    Thanks guys. I've always liked these. Missed one 2 years ago that was listed of all places on the community "bulletin board" at my local super markets! (you know...flyers for free kittens, babysitters and such) So was shocked when I saw it listed. I ripped off a number from the flyer...promptly lost it and then went back and the flyer was gone. LoL.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

That's interesting. The better photos show that the scabbard, from Schleswig Police District was formerly issued under two previous weapon/accountability numbers, 903 and 726. These are crossed out in the German style when issued to another officer. But there is a third number, "16" and that matches the side arm issued by the Breslau District Rural Police.

Is this a co-incidence or has this scabbard actually been issued as a set in Breslau? I think it's possible, and it may not actually be a mismatch. How could this occur? Possibly a transfer of parts between Schleswig to Breslau Police Armouries might have seen a damaged scabbard replaced with a used one from another District.

In this case the Armourer not bothering to change the District codes, but only adding the weapon number now paired with another bayonet. Speculation but I think plausibe. If so it opens a whole new understanding of interpart transfers with Police Districts and that some mismatches may have occurred before the end of WW2.
    Last edited by Larry C; 08-08-2021 at 01:19 AM.

MAP
    ?

Thanks Anderson..greatly appreciate your thoughts.

I wondered if the 16 had a link between the two...but knowing really nothing about these I didn't let my imagination roam.

Nice to know it is possible

Thanks again

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Some might argue the "16" might have been added post war, but that I think is unlikely as the two earlier numbers are correctly crossed out, and the second number (probably 903) would only be crossed out when adding the third number, 16. And the font of the 16 is correct type.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Some might argue the "16" might have been added post war, but that I think is unlikely as the two earlier numbers are correctly crossed out, and the second number (probably 903) would only be crossed out when adding the third number, 16. And the font of the 16 is correct type.
    Thanks!. I agree with your quantitative analysis Furthermore, on the more qualitative approach, I highly doubt that this was added post war too. While you can never prove a story, I have no reason to doubt the information that the daughter provided that this and other items belonged to her late father who was given these as a young boy from returning Vets in his neighborhood.

Really interesting information Anderson. Now this bayonet is more interesting, congratulations of this nice bayonet MAP.
    -TJ-

?

Should be compared the 16 on bayonet and scabbard it could be the complete was serialed together even the old Schutzpolizei marking were not removed, there is location probably on the frog, frog looks ok, ....hausen ended, You should deciphere the marking.

Comparing the 16 numerals as to whether font matches is not really the point if the scabbard was issued as a replacement years later, quite possible the font type would be different. But the font used on the scabbard is one I've seen before on these scabbards.

?

Questionable as by renumbering i would await same digits as by bayonet to that is this renumbered, personally believe the black scabbard is not proper for Landjaegerei, there should be brown colored leather, but i couldnt rule out similar replacement.
    Personally believe there is GI carving on backside of frog april xxxxx 44 which means more real the frog is not from this bayonet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2