Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Police side arm makers, Weimar/Third Reich

Article about: A thread to simply list the known makers of the Polizei side arm (in bayonet style) of the Weimar/Third Reich era. During the Weimar republic period up to early Third Reich the side arm had

As promised, an example by Ewald Cleff, which has proven to be an elusive item for me. I did find one last year but the blade had been sharpened so I didn't finalize the purchase. This example was on Eban and was beautiful but for the sharpening, you can still see the remains of the clamshell underneath the crossguard.

Cleff seems to appear only on Weimar examples that may or may not have been cut down. I have seen the logo on the occasional SA dagger but don't believe Ewald Cleff produced many blades within the 3R. Perhaps the company folded in the interim.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Police side arm makers, Weimar/Third Reich  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Police side arm makers, Weimar/Third Reich
    P
    Many

Here are a pair of E. Pack Polizei bayonets showing the same maker's mark. Pack Polizei bayonets are typically early produced & have numerous subtleties that distinguish them from other makers so vetting such an example is not hard if you know what you're looking at.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Police side arm makers, Weimar/Third Reich  

An obverse view of the Pack brothers. I kept the Feldjäger & sold the other to a collecting friend who was very happy to get it. The Pack bearing the 3R emblem came out of Breslau, supposedly out of an attic which was being renovated. Both examples are of the highest quality in terms of construction & materials used in their manufacture.

Thanks Billy, great to see those two Hollers and the Cleff & Pack examples. The etched example is very interesting. As is the differences we can see with the crossguards and hilt lock button.

Yes, the slotted hilt does throw a difference in there but there are enough similarities when held side by side, particularly small things, that fill in the picture. Not that I had any doubts about either one, just that rhe etched example was supremely scrutinized by myself but the quality of the etch, even on the spine, was a large help.

Both examples show the wide-winged style grip emblem, as you'd expect with a 3R produced bayonet. I don't like the aluminum ones as much because the quality generally dropped somewhat but there are so many variants that I'm always looking to pick up others.

A page from my TR era WKC sales catalogue.

The 25cm blade model was priced at 9.50 RM and the 33 cm blade model at 11 RM. Interestingly the SA dagger was at the bargain price of 7.05 RM

If you look closely at the two Police models it's clear few of any parts are interchangeable between the 25cm and 22cm blade models.

I purchased the top one a couple months ago (No emblem on handle) and the other last week. Funny thing is... they both have the same makers mark (WKC) and very similar regimental markings. What’s the odds? Grin

My photos aren’t very clear... top markings are “S.W. PR III.7.” ..... bottom is “S.W. PR I.157.”
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Police side arm makers, Weimar/Third Reich   Police side arm makers, Weimar/Third Reich  

Well you have a couple of Weimar era made Polizei side arms, updated during the Third Reich (probably 1936), blade shortened TR badge added.

It's difficult to see the markings from those photos, but based on what you write they represent; Schutzpolizei (Municipal), Westpreussen, Police Duty location III & I, weapon numbers; 7 and 157

Is this odd? Not really as Police districts would have issued hundreds of side arms. A coincidence probably, but close up of marking will confirm if authentic.

Here’s a better pic... that’s what my research revealed (Westpreussen district). They’re interesting pieces. I can see why they’re highly sought after and why they hold their value. Is there an estimate of how many of these Weimar era pieces were cut down and reconfigured?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3