Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Deer Stag Knife

Article about: I'm not sure if this the right category for this knife. I received this as a present from my neighbor whose father in law served in the army during WWII and brought this souvenir home from G

?

Default Deer Stag Knife

I'm not sure if this the right category for this knife. I received this as a present from my neighbor whose father in law served in the army during WWII and brought this souvenir home from Germany. There are no markings to indicate maker. Does anybody recognize this type of knife or is this something made for soldiers as souvenirs. All opinions are welcome.

Regards, Al

Deer Stag Knife

Deer Stag Knife

Deer Stag Knife

Deer Stag Knife

Deer Stag Knife

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Deer Stag Knife
    P
    Many

?

Nice acquisition ! My thoughts are how the tang is being held in the bone handle by the fastener, again nice find !
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Deer Stag Knife  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

Thanks G I wondered that also, it's very sturdy with no movement.

On a side note, the same neighbor may be giving me an SA or NSKK dagger as well, I cross my fingers he doesn't change his mind. Apparently his son in law took interest in all the military relics but thanks to his "liberal sensibilities" the swastika may have been too much for him to bear. LOL, his loss my win.

An old knife for sure, but it could be a home workshop construction from parts rather than a manufactured knife. The stag horn hilt and it's attachment and stitching around sheath are a little crude, these may be repairs of course. I would be interested in seeing the snap button fastener as these can help narrow the era made. It is in general consistant with the style of German daggers and hunting knives made from 1900's to 1950's.

?

Thank you Anderson, I tend to agree with home workmanship and crude detailing. I did find a marking on the inside of the snap fastener.

Deer Stag Knife

Deer Stag Knife

Deer Stag Knife

Quote by Anderson View Post
    An old knife for sure, but it could be a home workshop construction from parts rather than a manufactured knife.
    Those were my first thoughts when I saw it posted.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks Al. With the snap button, it's definitely not WW1 era, probably no earlier than 1930's, and could easily be post ww2. I think I can see "AG" on the rim. That is interesting as it could indicate "Aktiengesellschaft" meaning a public limited liability company, in contrast a family owned company with limited liability designated GmbH. The key point is the "AG" company designation originated from 1965. So, the scabbard is 1960's at the earliest. That's either a brilliant piece of analysis, or I'm miles up the wrong creek! But I would say the odds are it's all post war made.

?

Thank you Anderson. I'll accept your assessment since I have no idea if my friends father in law actually brought it back from the war or its was just part of his personal effects. Included in the items my friend gave me was this ornate machete possibly made in the 1960's or 1970's. I posted in this thread.

Regards, Al

Post Your Edged Weapons Any Type Any Era