Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Hirschanger Hunting dagger post war or pre 1945?

Article about: Hi Guys I've recently purchased this lovely hunting dagger with acid etched hunting scenes on both sides of the blade.The spine of the blade is also etched The remains of the felt green wash

Default Hirschanger Hunting dagger post war or pre 1945?

Hi Guys
    I've recently purchased this lovely hunting dagger with acid etched hunting scenes on both sides of the blade.The spine of the blade is also etched
    The remains of the felt green washer still present.The scabbard has wooden runners that have come loose and has a dark green leather.
    The blade is in superb condition.The dagger has genuine stag horn grip with a DJ emblem attached.
    The blade is stamped Horstator Solingen.

Is this stamp a Third Reich era stamp or is it post war from the 1950's
    The emblem seems a bit smaller than usual

If the dagger turns out to be post war I can post it back to the seller.
    If the badge is wrong but the the knife is ok I'll look for a new emblem and keep the dagger.
    Here is some images
    Your knowledge and opinions are appreciated. Hirschanger Hunting dagger post war or pre 1945?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hirschanger Hunting dagger post war or pre 1945?
    P
    Many

?

Horstator was a Hörster brand and is totally ok for pre 1945, so its a original TR Hirschfänger.
    There are 2 different sizes of DJ Grip Emblems, but both are always from silvered messing and periodly never made in aluminium for DJS grips.
    It should be attached with 2 pins, so try to look a bit behind the side of the Emblem and see if there are pins.
    If its the proper material and atteched with pins then all is in good order.

To find an original DJS Grip emblem is very very hard, as lots of them were denazified or taken off after the war so that they could still wear them.

Regards
    Ger

can you give me the exact sizes of the emblem in mm and i can compare it to a few i have.

Thanks Gerrit for the reply .I've checked the size of the emblem and its 17mm in total.The bottom is bent over slightly so 17mm overall length.
    I've seen an original emblem Lakeside trader had in their archives and that was around 18mm in length.
    There is no sign of any glue residue.
    The emblem is not aluminium.

Thanks for your advice most appreciated.

I do not believe this piece was produced pre 1945, wooden runners are to me a sign of possibly post war manufacture, apart from some extremely early DJ hirschfängers (late 1934) that I have obsevered with wooden runners all the others I have seen have metal runners. I have never believed in this mark as pre 1945, this mark is not early and in my opinion is post 1945, I believe this piece started life with a DJV badge for the post war hunting organisation Deutsche Jagdschutzverein, this is my opinion only. If others believe this to be of wartime production then thats fine with me. As far as these DJ grip emblems always have two pins to attach to the grip that is an incorrect statement, I know for sure that Alcoso used a one pin type on some of their hirschfängers and I suspect that other manufacturers did also at different times of manufacture.

Gary

?

Well Gary i agree we disagree on this one.
    The Horstator brand was registered in 1918 and they advertised this brand a lot during and before the TR era.
    Here a period ad of Horstator mentioning also Hirschfänger.
    The stamped logo is also a good sign, and i agree we dont see that much wooden runners during the TR period but I wouldnt condem it just because of that.
    Its very well possible that this was a DJV Hirschfänger so pre 1934, it would explain the wooden runners, with a replaced DJS emblem.
    Its speaks in its favour that the emblem shows no sign of glue and is slighty bent.

Here one of the Horstator ads so called "Werbung"

Ger
    Last edited by gerrit; 06-12-2023 at 09:26 AM.

?

Gary i own a DJS by Alcoso with a Berufsjäger Portepee that came straight from a household that has wooden runners too.
    And this one is a period one for sure, and not pre 1934 looking at the logo.
    The grip emblem is about 19 mm long and at its widest 17 mm.

Best
    Ger
    Last edited by gerrit; 06-13-2023 at 07:32 AM.