MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

JA Henckels Antique Hunting Knife

Article about: -- Good morning War Relics. I acquired this piece from the collection of a man offloading some of his fine pieces. I'm trying to learn all I can about the piece but information is tricky to

?

Quote by saufaengerkid View Post
    Not like any Henckels hirschfänger that I know of, the blade reminds me of the fake Horster pieces that are commonly seen, the fact that the blade washer, blade and all the fittings look new and are not known Henckels parts lead me to the conclusion that it is of modern manufacture. At $5K you better be sure its a good one.

Gary
    Unfortunate you confirmed my bad feelings about this one.
    Thanks for you help Gary!

Ger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement JA Henckels Antique Hunting Knife
    P
    Many

Quote by saufaengerkid View Post
    Not like any Henckels hirschfänger that I know of, the blade reminds me of the fake Horster pieces that are commonly seen, the fact that the blade washer, blade and all the fittings look new and are not known Henckels parts lead me to the conclusion that it is of modern manufacture. At $5K you better be sure its a good one.

Gary
    -- Well therein kind of lays out the problem -- this isn't a Horster fake, or rather, has nothing to do with Horster at all. This is a J.A. Henkel blade with possibly Eichorn purchased fittings and possibly stag grip (or from other origin). If we were to apply Occam's Razor theory rationale thinking would lead one to believe a faker would have produced more than 1 copy, and if he did so, examples would abound on the internet. And there is not. I mean a capable forger is in such a game to turn huge profit and not simply disappear after producing 1 copy. And a pretty incompetent forger if he chose J.A. Henkel's to make fakes if there was indeed no such thing in existence. You'd think he'd copy a known maker of these things.

Is it too far fetched to imagine J.A. Henkel's crafting a commissioned blade for a likely wealthy customer? A company in the quality blade-making business since 1731?

I've studied this thing up and down and every which way and nothing appears "out of place." I've shown a couple other knowledgeable gentleman and they're more than comfortable with what they see and feel. The fire gilt is spot-on. The stag handle is perfectly size-matched to the pommel acorn. Three acorns up and down on the handle. Beautiful period leather. Pre-war brass fittings. Wood lined scabbard with impeccable fit. It's all there.

And so yes, I've decided to keep and cherish it.

Seek out a Henckels catalogue from early 1900's to TR era. That may help verify the etching used on their Hirschfanger and other detailing. You could also try sending photos to one of the dealers who specialize in these blades and ask their opinion.

?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Seek out a Henckels catalogue from early 1900's to TR era. That may help verify the etching used on their Hirschfanger and other detailing. You could also try sending photos to one of the dealers who specialize in these blades and ask their opinion.
    Well the true Henckels expert and Hirschfänger collectors has already gave his opinion.
    And i'll take his word for it, and you know me, i dont take that lightly.

Any dealer have handled a couple of Hirschfängers during his career but still owning over 100+ of those, and handle way more, that is quite a different story.
    Besides that if there is a Henckels cataloque that would show this one Gary would have showed, he own quite some period paperwork.

lets say in this one, we agree to disagree and when the buyer is happy with it, well then its ok i guess.

Ger

Im glad you like it, it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks, you own it and if you are happy with it then that is all there is to it.

Gary

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3