Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

August Dieckmann Family Photos - Opinions?

Article about: Hey everybody, After my last experience with photos I’m still a little paranoid. I have these August Dieckmann photos on hold to buy. I think they’re good, but just wanted to triple chec

Default August Dieckmann Family Photos - Opinions?

Hey everybody,

After my last experience with photos I’m still a little paranoid. I have these August Dieckmann photos on hold to buy. I think they’re good, but just wanted to triple check. Thanks for your input and help.

Taylor

August Dieckmann Family Photos - Opinions?August Dieckmann Family Photos - Opinions?August Dieckmann Family Photos - Opinions?August Dieckmann Family Photos - Opinions?August Dieckmann Family Photos - Opinions?August Dieckmann Family Photos - Opinions?August Dieckmann Family Photos - Opinions?August Dieckmann Family Photos - Opinions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement August Dieckmann Family Photos - Opinions?
    P
    Many

My first observation would be why is SS Kriegsberichter spelt Kriegsberichet on the back of the final photo and also has anyone else ever heard of a SS-Kriegsberichter Kok? I have not heard of him before and couldn't find any archive reference to him.

Hi Taylor.

I can't help with authenticity, but BC brings up a good point about Kriegsberichtet instead of Kriegsberichter. Sometimes you see Gefreiten used instead of Gefreiter, so maybe they were interchangeable too?

I did find some information about an SS Kriegsberichter called Cornelius Kok -

Kok, CorneliusSS-Kriegsberichter | SS-Kriegsberichter Archive

Kok, Cornelius Estonian, came to Wiking with SS-Panzergrenadier BataillonNarwa in 1943, holder of the Infantry Assault Badge in Bronze (apparently he was in fact a Dutchman, born in New York City).

Waffen-SS Kriegsberichter Photographers - Feldgrau

Personalbesetzung der SS-K.B.-Zug "Wiking" -
    Personalbesetzung der SS-K.B.-Zug "Wiking" - Axis History Forum

Kind regards,

Will.

Thanks Willmore, so would Cornelius Kok have been able to take pictures of Dieckmanns funeral before he was taken POW? I'm not sure of the quality of the photos and unfortunately as some ha e been wrestled from an album the back of them is damaged and it's not easy to judge the photographic paper quality. Some look ok, but others I'm not sure of. What do other members think?

August Dieckmann was killed in action on the 10th October 1943, but I can only say that Kok was in Narwa in 1943.

August Dieckmann - Axis History Forum

Quote by Willmore View Post
    August Dieckmann was killed in action on the 10th October 1943, but I can only say that Kok was in Narwa in 1943.

August Dieckmann - Axis History Forum
    Yes that was what I'd seen earlier.

?

I think the postcard looks best and the one I would be most comfortable with. The others I am less confident of but still think they appear good. All are a little rough. Also no photo paper markings to check.

I read the Kok was one of some Dutch volunteers in the SS-Kriegsberichter-Abteilung serving in the Ukrainian sector. The unit later changed name to the SS-Standarte Kurt Eggers of which he would have been in for only a few months before being captured. He was still taking photographs of the Wiking in combat on the Dnjepr in November 1943, so he very well could have taken ones of the funeral. The US NARA has 125 of the images taken by Kok September-November 1943 archived and maybe it is included in that lot, not sure.
    Still have not seen another press photo that has the word ‘Kriegsberichtet’ on it. I see a few other examples with various ways of denoting the photographer but none replicate the one here.

?

Interesting photos. I do own a pre war photo album from August Dieckmann. If you may get tired of this pics one day, please shoot me a PM.

It would be reasonable to argue Kok was in the area of Dieckmann’s funeral, as we was attached to the correct division.

Cat, good catch on “Kriegberichtet.” Krieg berichtet literally translates to “war reports.” However, that’s spelled as two separate words, unlike the photo reverse. Are Kreigbrichter writings on photo reverses typed or stamped?

Also, close up of potential marking.

August Dieckmann Family Photos - Opinions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast