Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Authenticity of 'appealing' photographs

Article about: Hi! Could you give me your thoughts on these photographs? I bought the first two (Dunkirk, June 1940, I gather), am thinking of buying the next 4 - they are possibly too 'sexy' to be authent

Default Authenticity of 'appealing' photographs

Hi!

Could you give me your thoughts on these photographs? I bought the first two (Dunkirk, June 1940, I gather), am thinking of buying the next 4 - they are possibly too 'sexy' to be authentic, even though they are stated as being original and 'older than 70 years old' by the seller - and would very much like to buy the last one (with the cross-dressing men) of which I have included the back.

Any remarks are welcome!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Authenticity of 'appealing' photographs   Authenticity of 'appealing' photographs  

Authenticity of 'appealing' photographs   Authenticity of 'appealing' photographs  

Authenticity of 'appealing' photographs  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Authenticity of 'appealing' photographs
    P
    Many

Authenticity of 'appealing' photographsThe Dunkerque pictures are interesting, the statue of Jean Bart appears to have been a popular image to take a picture of. This is the same scene in more peaceful times.

The Germans with the French Senegalese? Soldiers is interesting too as the erkennungsmarke is seen attached via a leather tab, in one photo?

Thank you BlackCat for sharing this postcard of a more peaceful time for Dunkirk! It is good to see the buildings as they were before the destruction. I would like to map the buildings around the statue, and perhaps post some of my findings on here?

Would you recommend me to buy the photograph of the Germans with the French Senegalese? Are there any visible red flags?

Always a minefield attempting to accurately judge photos without having them in hand. But look for obvious signs of them being digitised and reprinted, which i don't think those two are. The only other observation is that the yellowing colour can be both an indication of age but also of bad printing (something that can happen at any time).

If they are of curiosity to you and you are satisfied with them, then by all means buy them.