Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Death Propaganda Poster Against Dutch Railway Strike 1944.

Article about: Hello Members, I obtained a German propaganda poster that was made for the dutch railway strike in 1944. It is not in the best shape due to being taped up on one side. I will think about res

Dos
    ?

Default Death Propaganda Poster Against Dutch Railway Strike 1944.

Hello Members,

I obtained a German propaganda poster that was made for the dutch railway strike in 1944. It is not in the best shape due to being taped up on one side. I will think about restoring this poster by someone that is specilized in this repair work. But for now i let a company here in my hometown make a new frame for it. It has special glass that is used by museums and protects against UV. It was offered by a reputable dealer here in the Netherlands and appears to be authentic in my opinion. I know of 2 similar posters that are being exhibited in museums here in the Netherlands among which the railway museum in Utrecht and the resistance museum in Amsterdam. Does anyone know who designed this poster?

Any opinions or additional information are welcome!

-Dos

Some history in short behind this German propaganda poster:

On the 17th of September 1944 on "Radio Oranje" a message was broadcasted by the Dutch goverment that was held up in London with a secret code language: "De kinderen van Versteeg moeten onder de wol" Translated:"The children from Versteeg should go under the wool" It is a Dutch saying. It comes down to this next phrase: "Versteeg's children have to go to bed". This secret code message was communicated beforehand by the resistance and everyone knew what to do when it was broadcasted. The message made 30.000 staff members and employees lay down there work with NS (Nederlandse Spoorwegen) and after that went into hiding.

In the northern part of the Netherlands the railway strike was mostly financed by a resistance group called De Groot. This group had it's headquarters in Groningen that is also my hometown. Many of these members were tortured in the "Scholtenhuis" A well known SD Nazi building in the city square that is no longer present at this time. Also some of these resistance members were killed during transport or in concentration camps. In the beginning of January 1945 most of the resistance group was taken out by the German Sicherheitsdienst / SD.

This Dutch railway strike coincided with Operation Market Garden that was led by the Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery. The thought behind this railway strike was that the Germans would face a huge problem transporting troops and supplies while being attacked by Allied forces in the Netherlands. This railway strike had not the desired outcome and effect the Allies were hoping for. The Germans were putting their own personnel and trains to work to keep the transports on route.

Operation Market Garden failed and the Allies did not achieve the victory that was planned. The plan to lay down the work of the NS by its employees was thought out with the success of this operation. Now millions of Dutch citizens were not getting the necessary supplies like fuel and food. This led to the "Hongerwinter" / "Winter of starvation" of 1944-1945 and had a huge impact on the dutch civilization with many casualties.

The German propaganda poster shows a railway track and a skull on it with the sentence: "STAKING BRENGT ALLÉÉN ELLENDE OVER UW EIGEN VOLK!" Translated this means: "STRIKE BRINGS ONLY MISERY TO YOUR OWN PEOPLE!" A German attempt to make the Dutch stop there railway strike and make it clear they were still in control. This strike and starvation lasted the whole winter until the May of 1945.

Some photos from the poster before being framed up and with the end result of being protected and ready to put on the wall for display:

Death Propaganda Poster Against Dutch Railway Strike 1944.Death Propaganda Poster Against Dutch Railway Strike 1944.

Death Propaganda Poster Against Dutch Railway Strike 1944.Death Propaganda Poster Against Dutch Railway Strike 1944.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Death Propaganda Poster Against Dutch Railway Strike 1944.
    P
    Many

Dos
    ?

A period photograph of one of these affiches hanging on a wall with some other messages. Not the best, but have not seen any better from the period itself.

Here is a photo of the poster on display in the Railway museum in Utrecht, The Netherlands.

And a period photograph after the liberation of the Netherlands. A locomotive from the NS is seen with the text on the front: "Wij rijden weer" / "We operate again"

?

Wow, that is a striking poster! An amazing find for your diverse skull collection. Congratulations!

Dos
    ?

Thanks Al, I'm very happy with it! Appreciate it.

There were some reproductions of this particular designed poster, but those are easy to recognize. Still a bit of a gamble that i hope turns out good. Not really in doubt, but would like the poster guys here to have a second look on it just to be sure.

-Dos

CBH
    ?

Just what I needed another area of Head Hunting I mean Skull Collecting, ephemera!
    But I guess that means my propaganda leaflets (Avatar) would count.
    Great poster with lots of cross collect ability. Thanks for sharing.

Dos
    ?

Thank you for the kind words CBH. I'm glad it survived!

I've always wondered where your avatar came from. Have you made a topic about it or uploaded any images from it here on the forum? Love it!

-Dos

CBH
    ?

Yes, I have years ago, got a set of two in a series of 5 or 6, Death on one side , and a Life on the other, with a woman undressing. I can’t repost the photos at the moment as my computer has died and I’m using a pad. It’s a pain.

Dos
    ?

I found them with your description via the search engine! They look great, Both sides

Propaganda Leaflets