MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Deathcard Fallschirmjäger Normandie

Article about: Hello everyone, little post to introduce you to some of my Fallschirmjäger Sterbebild fallen during the Battle of Normandy. I start with the FJR6: Sterbebild of the Obergefreiter Ludwig Jag

?

Default Deathcard Fallschirmjäger Normandie

Hello everyone, little post to introduce you to some of my Fallschirmjäger Sterbebild fallen during the Battle of Normandy. I start with the FJR6: Sterbebild of the Obergefreiter Ludwig Jageregger of the Stabskompanie of the IIIrd Battalion of the Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 6 fallen on June 09, 1944 probably during the fighting against the paratroopers of the 101st Airborne. He now rests in the cemetery of Orglandes. If Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 6 combat experts can give me more details or information, I'm interested.

Sterbebild of unteroffizier Michael Maurer who died on June 13 in Carantilly near Saint-Lô. He belonged to 13 Kompanie (Schwere GrW. Kompanie (Heavy Mortar) - commanded by Oberleutnant Nahde ) of the 6. Fallschirmjägerregiment of Major Von der Heydte. He now rests in the cemetery of Marigny.

Sterbebild of Oberjäger Rudolf Hofman of the Nachrichtenzug of the Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 6. He fell on June 19, 1944 in the vicinity of Meautis. He now rests in the cemetery of Marigny.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Deathcard Fallschirmjäger Normandie
    P
    Many

?

Sterbebild of the obergefreiter Georg Lindner who belonged to the 9th Kompanie of the Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 6. He fell during the fighting delivered by the FJR6 alongside elements of the 2.SS Panzer-Division Das Reich and the SS-Panzergrenadier Regiment 38 of the 17.SS-Panzergrenadier-Division Götz von Berlichingen. On July 4, the 83rd US ID launched an offensive towards Sainteny. The Americans suffer very heavy losses: 1450 men against only 150 SS and 300 Fallschirmjäger for an extremely weak progression. The fighting in this area will be extremely violent and Sainteny will only fall on July 9 after the Americans have lost 5,000 men. The obergefreiter Georg Lindner now rests in the cemetery of Marigny.

Two deathcards of the Auflärung Kompanie of the 3.Fallschirmjäger-division. They both fell in Cloville. Anton Blass rests in the cemetery of Orglandes and Franz Estermann rests in the cemetery of La Cambe among the unknown soldiers. I had also thought of the Fallschirm Aufklärung Abteilung 12.

?

I now move on to Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 8: Sterbebild of the obergefreiter Franz Ludatschka belonging to the 1st Kompanie of the Fallschirmjäger Regiment 8 (FJR8) of the 3. Fallschirmjäger-Division which fell on July 18, 1944 in the vicinity of Saint-Lô. He died in a field hospital (HVPl.31) at La Guerardiere. The 3. Fallschirmjäger-Division fought heavy defensive battles in the southeast surroundings of Saint-Lô. Between July 15 and 17, 1944, the FJR8 participated in the relief of the FJR9 which suffered heavy losses. On July 18, 1944, the Americans entered Saint-Lô. The obergefreiter Franz Ludatschka now rests in the cemetery of Orglandes.

Sterbebild of the obergefreiter Anton Brey, holder of the first class iron cross and the second class iron cross, who belonged to the 13th Kompanie of the fallschirmjäger regiment 8. He died on August 11, 1944 at H.V.P.L 31 (field hospital) of the Château de les Haies following a serious injury. I don't know which location corresponds to H.V.P.L 31, since there are two "Les Haies" near Flers. I have the impression that on the mortuary form it is indicated North-East of Flers but I am not sure. If someone manages to decrypt I'm a taker. At that time the HQ of the 3rd Fallschirmjäger division of General Meindl was installed in the vicinity of Flers and the remains of fallschirmjäger 8 fought under the orders of fallschirmjäger regiment 5. The fallschirmjäger fought heavy defensive battles and inflicted significant losses on their opponents. He now rests in the cemetery of Champigny Saint André.

?

For the Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 9: Obituary of Fritz Holzapfel Obergefreiter serving in the 3rd Kompanie of the Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 9 of the 3rd Division and who died on June 12, 1944 in Saint-Germain-d'Elle. The mission of the unit which arrived the day before in this sector is then to prohibit the road to Saint-Lô alongside the 352.ID and the 353.ID.

Sterbebild of the obergefreiter Johann Igl of the 1st Kompanie of the Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 9. His mortuary card indicates Saint-André-de-l'Épine as the place of death while the volksbund indicates the field hospital (H.V.Pl 31) of the Guerardiere. We can therefore assume that he was injured in Saint-André-de-l'Epine and that his death was recorded once evacuated on H.V.Pl 31.

On July 11, 1944 at dawn, 250 men of FJR9 carried out a surprise attack in the sector of the 29th ID in order to eliminate American artillery observers. This attack is a failure and 87 paratroopers of the regiment lose their lives. That same day, FJR9 fought heavy battles on hill 192 alongside FJR5 against the 2nd US ID and lost two company commanders and two platoon leaders within its 1st Battalion, to which the 1st Kompanie belonged. The coast is taken by the Americans today. Johann Igl rests in the cemetery of Orglandes. The information and the map come from the book German paratroopers in Normandy, special issue of Bataille magazine published in November 2022.

Sterbebild of the obergefreiter Anton Rappl of the 1st Kompanie of the Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 9. He died on July 8 at the Fallschirm-Feldlazarett 3 which was stationed at that time in Bagnoles de l'Orne. We can therefore assume that he was wounded during the fighting fought by his regiment to prevent American troops from entering Saint-Lô. He now rests in the cemetery of Champigny-Saint-André.

?

For the Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 15: Sterbebild of the obergefreiter Theodor Lautenschlager who fell on July 8, 1944 in the forest of Mont-Castre. He therefore most certainly belonged to the Fallschirmjäger Regiment 15 (FJR 15) commanded by Major Gröschke of the 5. Fallschirmjäger-Division. The American offensive against Mont Castre begins on July 3. On July 7, the FJR 15 launched a dozen counter-attacks and seized Beaucondray. More than 250 American soldiers are captured. He now rests in the cemetery of Orglandes. The map is drawn and the information comes from the special issue of Bataille, the military history of the 20th Century on German paratroopers in Normandy by Benoît Rondeau.

Here are some Sterbebild of soldiers who fell in the defense of Saint-Lô for which I have not been able to determine the exact unit. Sterbebil of the obergefreiter Roman Kobler who fell on July 12, 1944 in Saint-Georges-d'Elle. It most likely belongs to Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 5 which on July 11, 1944 repelled 13 American assaults at Saint-Georges-d'Elles. The FJR 5 occupies the right part of the device of the 3. Fallschirmjäger-Division whose mission is to prohibit access to Saint-Lô and faces elements of the 2nd US ID.

Sterbebild of the fallschirmjäger Johann Kittl who fell on July 12, 1944 in Saint-Lô. He therefore belonged to the 3.Fallschirmjäger-Division or the 5.Fallschirmjäger-Division. He fell during the fighting delivered by the Fallschirmjäger for the defense of Saint-Lô against the 2nd US ID, 29th US ID and 35th US ID like his comrades mentioned before. The city will finally fall on July 18. He now rests in the cemetery of Marigny.

Sterbebild of the obergefreiter Johann Loibl, artillery observer, who also fell during the fighting for Saint-Lô. He is mentioned as being buried on July 15 in Saint-Lô. He most likely belonged to the 3.Fallschirmjäger-Division or the 5.Fallschirmjäger-Division like Johann Kittl. It is mentioned on his obituary that he was previously a Stuka pilot. Does anyone know why a Stuka pilot ended up as an obergefreiter in a Fallschirmjäger-Regiment? He now rests in the cemetery of La Cambe.

?

Sterbebild by Josef Wimmer who fell on June 22 or July 15, 1944 in the fighting for Saint-Lô. So he most certainly belonged to the 3.Fallschirmjäger-Division or the 5.Fallschirmjäger-Division as well.

TWS
    ?

Quote by pas50 View Post

Sterbebild of the obergefreiter Anton Brey, holder of the first class iron cross and the second class iron cross, who belonged to the 13th Kompanie of the fallschirmjäger regiment 8. He died on August 11, 1944 at H.V.P.L 31 (field hospital) of the Château de les Haies following a serious injury. I don't know which location corresponds to H.V.P.L 31, since there are two "Les Haies" near Flers. I have the impression that on the mortuary form it is indicated North-East of Flers but I am not sure. If someone manages to decrypt I'm a taker. At that time the HQ of the 3rd Fallschirmjäger division of General Meindl was installed in the vicinity of Flers and the remains of fallschirmjäger 8 fought under the orders of fallschirmjäger regiment 5. The fallschirmjäger fought heavy defensive battles and inflicted significant losses on their opponents. He now rests in the cemetery of Champigny Saint André.
    The way I read it: 200 meters ahead (vorn) or from (von) Chateau Les Haies in a pasture 6 Km Northeast of Flers.

Note that I didn't Google any maps or anything to see if that makes sense.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

?

Many great Fallschirmjäger death cards shown including a few from “The Lions of Carentan”. The FJR6 cards are well sought after and I enjoy seeing all of these Fallschirm examples.

Some information for the third card posted, Rudolf Hofmann. Parts of Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 6 and the 17th SS Panzergrenadier Division Götz von Berlichingen regrouped near Meautis on the evening of June 13. I found one of the American units they came into contact with in this area was the 327th Glider Infantry Regiment. The following day, June 20, RKT Alexander Uhlig, the führer of 16. Kompanie, noted they were positioned between Méautis, Sainteny, and la Roserie fighting American infantry units for control over highway N171.

The Lions of Carentan: Fallschirmjager Regiment 6, 1943-1945 by Volker Griesser is probably the most comprehensive book written about FJR6. You may find combat records for many of their combat days in Normandie.

I should be able to explain the career of Johann Loibl as it is easily explainable. It is interesting that he had previously been a Stuka pilot before becoming a Fallschirmjäger although I have seen similar multiple times. The Fallschirmjäger units were made up of volunteers until the situation part way through 1944 changed that. Mid-1944 some men from bomber and fighter units were being moved to the FJ, and the last-ditch FJ units were being built from men all over in the final year.
    Johann Loibl maybe did not want to fly anymore and decided to transfer to the Fallschirmjäger. You can see some examples of this through the research of DeZeng’s Luftwaffe Career Summaries. You will see many officers transferring between odd units. A side note to this is that I noticed a surprising amount of Luftwaffe officers that transferred to the Waffen SS. I have seen multiple photos of Fallschirmjäger men wearing the Observer badge. Going back to Alexander Uhlig of FJR6 because he was one that possessed this badge. He was originally in Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 1 but then began serving as a beobachter (observer) in KG.z.b.V 1. He completing 169 observation flights here in Ju-52 before transferring back out to Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 6. I had also seen a photo album from a Fallschirm that was previously flying in Jagdgeschwader 27. I also know of another man who was flying He-111 and Ju-88 with Kampfgeschwader 77 before moving to FJR1 not long before Monte Cassino.

Regards, Ben