MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

'Die Wehrmacht' Yearbook 1939/40

Article about: Hello folks. Got this one from Espenlaub a few days ago. These books are very common, but it's pretty rare to encounter them with the dust jacket still intact. As the official yearbook of th

Default 'Die Wehrmacht' Yearbook 1939/40

Hello folks.

Got this one from Espenlaub a few days ago. These books are very common, but it's pretty rare to encounter them with the dust jacket still intact.

As the official yearbook of the Wehrmacht, these covered the military exploits of the German armed forces over the previous year. In this case, the book also covers the latter part of 1939, beginning with the invasion of Poland. I believe further editions were published in 1941 and 1942, with publication ceasing when the war began to turn against Germany in 1943.

Although I cannot read German (yet) it is very interesting to flip through the pages and view the photographs and illustrations. Of particular interest to me was a cross-section artist's impression of a section of the Maginot Line. I did not photograph every page, as the book is over 300 pages thick. I picked a few that were particularly eye-catching. Also featured is the foldout map inside the back cover, which remains in good condition. The fragility of the dust jacket makes me afraid to handle this one, but I do not regret buying it. Once my German has improved in the future, I'll take it out again and read it properly!

'Die Wehrmacht' Yearbook 1939/40'Die Wehrmacht' Yearbook 1939/40'Die Wehrmacht' Yearbook 1939/40'Die Wehrmacht' Yearbook 1939/40'Die Wehrmacht' Yearbook 1939/40'Die Wehrmacht' Yearbook 1939/40'Die Wehrmacht' Yearbook 1939/40'Die Wehrmacht' Yearbook 1939/40'Die Wehrmacht' Yearbook 1939/40

Regards, B.B.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 'Die Wehrmacht' Yearbook 1939/40
    P
    Many

Thumbs up

Very nice - I have a copy but as you say, without the attractive dustwrapper.
    I find these early-war propaganda publications ( when 'everything was going well' ) to be fascinating.

Quote by Martin Bull View Post
    Very nice - I have a copy but as you say, without the attractive dustwrapper.
    I find these early-war propaganda publications ( when 'everything was going well' ) to be fascinating.
    I've always found the degradation of German equipment quality as the war went on especially interesting. In a lot of cases, propaganda continued to defy reality until the very end. It's interesting that they gave up in this case. As it's a yearbook, I suppose they couldn't publish another without mentioning the loss at Stalingrad and the defeat in North Africa.

B.B.

Cool item BB & love the map. Nice bonus

May I ask how you are learning German ? Some on -line program ?
    D.

Quote by real steel View Post
    Cool item BB & love the map. Nice bonus

May I ask how you are learning German ? Some on -line program ?
    D.
    Thanks!

I'm using a free online program called Duolingo. It's straightforward. Pretty much an online 'German for dummies' course. Starts you out on the basics, and you work your way up. It keeps track of your progress, and even nags you if you neglect your daily lessons. I'm not expecting to become conversant through it, but it's a start!

B.B.

I am going to look for it. Thanks
    D.