Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Eduard Dietl "signed" Hoffman photo and more...

Article about: Hi Gents, Can anyone tell me more about the signing of Hoffman photos sent to prominent Generals in the German armed forces. Are they wery common and was the signing done by the generals or

Jan
    ?

Default Eduard Dietl "signed" Hoffman photo and more...

Hi Gents,

Can anyone tell me more about the signing of Hoffman photos sent to prominent Generals in the German armed forces. Are they wery common and was the signing done by the generals or by secretaries? This original (and sadly period glued on lila surface) grouping is from Finland. Is the accomapanying letter signed by Dietl´s adjutant? Can anyone spell out the name of him for me?

Best,

Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eduard Dietl "signed" Hoffman photo and more...  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eduard Dietl "signed" Hoffman photo and more...
    P
    Many

The letter translates as:

"Service station of
    field post no. 42 853
    Personal Staff Officer
    of the Commander-in-Chief

Local billets, 28th April 1943

Dear Heinz!

On behalf of the Commader-in-Chief, I confirm receipt of your letter of 2nd April.

Generaloberst Dietl thanks you for your best wishes. He is glad to fulfil your request.
    Attached, I return your photograph with the requested autograph.

With best greetings and

Heil Hitler!

Windisch-Graetz
    Oberleutnant"

The Windisch-Graetz family are of ancient Austrian nobility.

I cannot comment on how common the practice of sending photographs to be autographed was.

Jan
    ?

Thank You very, very much!

Best,

Jan

?

Certainly collecting signed photos of famous Generals and RKT was prevelant amongst the German youth , HJ etc similar to the celebrities of today and many wartime signed photos / cards were sent to and signed by the person in the photo so it would seem that a request such as this would not be uncommon.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Jan
    ?

Found this photo of Dietl with Oberleutnant Furst Windisch-Graetz (Grätz) on the left side of the photo.

Best.

Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eduard Dietl "signed" Hoffman photo and more...  

Jan
    ?

Thanks Paul,

I can imagine the feeling in those days when this young guy got his signed photo in the mail.

Best,

Jan

I remember how excited I was when I got back a signed copy of the Kriegsmarine paper from Gross Admiral Doenitz back in the 70s.