Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Fake Death Card - Johann Eichinger

Article about: I checked and could not find a thread specifically dealing with fake Death Cards so I thought I would post this one I acquired yesterday for Johann Eichinger. I recently put a video out on Y

Good thread. A quick search of the net did bring up at least two more cards with the same name, but from the pictures it isn't easy to say whether they are fakes or not. Definitely worth checking before buying any "desireable" death cards and asking the seller for high resolution pictures before pulling the trigger on a deal.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fake Death Card - Johann Eichinger
    P
    Many

Just got another fake card in, this one identified by the seller as post war.

Fake Death Card - Johann Eichinger Fake Death Card - Johann Eichinger

This appears to be an older and/or worse quality reprint. Even without magnification the photo is very muddy. It looks even rougher close up:

As I said the seller actually noted this one as a fake and had several available along with a very nice selection of real cards. I bid on two to make sure I got one and ended up with both, so I figure I'll start taking one with me to shows as a reference.

Best,
    Connor

The death card to Ewald would appear to be a print taken from an original. Check this link to see an image of the original death card, the photo being much higher quality than the one in the post above.

Tost, Ewald - TracesOfWar.com

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    The death card to Ewald would appear to be a print taken from an original. Check this link to see an image of the original death card, the photo being much higher quality than the one in the post above.

Tost, Ewald - TracesOfWar.com
    Good find! Honestly with how rough this one is in comparison it almost looks like a copy of a copy.

?

Great post, really informative and something I never thought of being faked. It amazes me why someone would fake a Death Card but then again I suppose you could understand with an SS one given the market demand for SS/elite stuff. I shall always look with my loupe now prior to purchasing. Thanks for the post.

A further observation on identifying good sterbebilder over fake/deception examples. During a quiet few moments over the festive season I was looking through some of my own sterbebild and noticed that I had 3 different cards that had identical print blemishes on the 1939 swastika image. To the beginner such visual anomalies might have raised concerns. However as I acquired these cards from a trusted source in Germany many years ago I know that although the 3 cards are from 3 different casualties they have one thing in common. All 3 came from the same state in Austria and were printed by the same printer. So they are original, but do show that there can be small anomalies when they were printed, the presence of such should not always be seen as a sign of suspicion.

?

I've collected paper items all my life. I immediately take out a modern print. Some postcards you immediately see the difference between old and new and you also feel it. But most importantly you smell it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2