Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Fake Document in the Classifieds !!

Article about: No one is accusing you , but you must understand that when a fake item is offered for sale for \\$800 from a member who has zero posts , history, or reputation, the forum members are going to

Default Re: Fake Document in the Classifieds !!

Fake as hell...Spelling errors even on the cover! Whoever put this together doesn't speak German...
    cheers, Glenn

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fake Document in the Classifieds !!
    P
    Many

Indeed. That document is comedy gold.

?

Truly awful !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Well, that's the only way to tell it's fake by the grammar mistakes. But if you have no skills in German that it's hard to figure it out. Very well made, in comparison with other cheap fake items I've seen in the past

?

The lesson from this thread for all collectors is " Yes " like all things documents are heavily faked so you have to do the basics of research into your purchase , the document set up , the wording,spelling, grammer , German terminology etc etc.

One of the things i find amazing is the number of people who buy documents who have not even a very basic working knowledge of the common phrases of the German langauge never mind the complexities of Military terminology etc !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Study the originals that actually existed...These items never even existed, they are complete fantasy items. You must familiarize yourself with the material you intend to collect, in my opinion and not buy the first thing that comes along with a swastika or SS Runes...There's too much money at stake nowadays to not do your homework, in my view...Good luck, friend!
    cheers, Glenn

Documents are always an issue and very hard to verify, unless you have a good background knowledge or experience. There were millions of documents produced during the WW2, sometimes it puts you in doubt in regards to the authenticity of some documents, due to it rarity and source access. But yes, there are many new uneducated collectors which are easily trapped by the con artists.

some have alluded to this and i believe it pretty much incumbent on the collector to try to develop something of a working knowledge of the German language and culture.

i realize this is no easy task, however, we all know we learn as we collect. collecting is, by its very nature, a feat of learning in the long term and short term.

far be it from me to criticize anyone at all. this is in no way meant to be taken that way in any way, shape or form.

i simply suggest that if one is collecting, one is learning. and if one is learning, there is nothing to adding on one more weapon in the armamentarium of knowledge needed to navigate this hobby. especially one, such as this, that pays such large dividends from the effort expended not only in the protection against fakes but in the actual enjoyment of the hobby as well.

there are many and inexpensive ways to learn a language these days. one hardly need leave the house. such was not the case in times past.

i think, anyone learning German even to only a basic degree, is going to find their enjoyment of the hobby very much enhanced.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5