Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Feldpost Letter

Article about: Hello folks. A small purchase. I never get bored of these! Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, I'm still struggling with deciphering German handwriting. I am not sure what the context of

Default Feldpost Letter

Hello folks.

A small purchase. I never get bored of these!

Unfortunately, despite my best efforts, I'm still struggling with deciphering German handwriting. I am not sure what the context of this letter is, save that it appears to have been sent back to Germany from abroad.

Using my new lightbox, photographing the handwriting has proven much easier, where before I was relying on a camera flash and a bit of good luck!

Feldpost LetterFeldpost LetterFeldpost Letter

Regards, B.B.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Feldpost Letter
    P
    Many

?

Hello !

Nice piece ! It's not quite a feldpost letter though. This letter is send after the war in november 1945 from Bidingen to Augsburg, both town located in Bavaria. The sender (Max Weidinger) is answering to his good friend Leonhard Grußier. Even though it's not directly war-time, it's interesting to see how the germans were trying to rebuild a normal life in a devastated coutry.
    A complete translation may take some time but here is the first infos.

Cheers,

Satzar.

Thank you for the help, and for clarifying exactly what this letter is. I only wish my grasp of Sütterlin was better, so that I could work on the translation myself!

Regards, B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    I only wish my grasp of Sütterlin was better, so that I could work on the translation myself!
    That isn't Sütterlin, actually. It's basically the modern Normalschrift that replaced it in 1941, although the writer has retained some stylistic elements from the older script.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    That isn't Sütterlin, actually. It's basically the modern Normalschrift that replaced it in 1941, although the writer has retained some stylistic elements from the older script.
    You are a man of great knowledge, which appears to know no bounds. You've taught me something new today, Andreas. Thank you!

B.B.

Thanks! By the way, the hand-drawn emblem on the envelope's reverse side is a stylized depiction of the coat-of-arms of Augsburg.