Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Feldpost wonders - a new pickup

Article about: Hi guys, this interesting set came in today. Found it on German eBay and decided to get it with the few spare euros I had The opened envelope contained a letter and a photo sent by a soldier

CSW
    ?

Default Feldpost wonders - a new pickup

Hi guys,

this interesting set came in today. Found it on German eBay and decided to get it with the few spare euros I had

The opened envelope contained a letter and a photo sent by a soldier to his darling in May 1942. The fellow served with 2. Kompanie, Infanterie-Divisions-Nachrichten-Abteilung 230, 169. Infanterie-Division. This particular unit was stationed in northern Finland from the start of Barbarossa until late 1944 when it withdrew to Norway.

I have attached photos of the entire letter below in case some Sütterlin expert is kind enough to decipher some of the text - I can mostly spot just individual words myself.

This is in fact my first Feldpost "grouping" and also such a nice one I'm planning on framing it.

Thanks for looking!

Feldpost wonders - a new pickup Feldpost wonders - a new pickup

Named and (later) unit-marked on the backside.

Nice small photo - a bit dirty and out of focus but an interesting piece anyway.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Feldpost wonders - a new pickup  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Feldpost wonders - a new pickup
    P
    Many

Great find.

CSW
    ?

Thanks G, I agree it was. It's also something I've wanted for a little while so definitely a win

Excellent pick up

I enjoy collecting Feldpost groupings too, for exactly that reason

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Nice find for sure.

CSW
    ?

Thanks for the comments gents!

I'm certainly looking forward to adding some more of these to my humble collection as they seem to be very affordable (and great material for further research as well)

CSW
    ?

A small update some years later. I had a fitting frame lying around and put up a little temporary display with the few Feldpost pieces I had acquired over the years.

The two upper envelopes are unfortunately empty, however to my mind they are still rather interesting pieces of local (Finnish) wartime history. The one on the left is Fp-numbered to 7. Batterie, Gebirgs-Artillerie-Regiment 82 and the right one to 3. Kriegslazarett, Kriegslazarett-Abteilung 677.

Some online research suggests that the recipient of the 1944 letter on the left was a well-known philatelist and stamp dealer who regularly published trade offers in magazines. One can only wonder what Gefr. Berger sent in the envelope

Thanks for having a look!

I really like how those envelopes have been framed.
    Nice idea

Regards
    Santi

CSW
    ?

Quote by TABSTABS1964 View Post
    I really like how those envelopes have been framed.
    Nice idea

Regards
    Santi
    Thank you very much Santi!

It is not quite perfect but I too like the way it turned out. I wanted to go for a small but respectful display and I believe this style does indeed work. Thanks again!