Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

A Guide to Collecting Mein Kampf

Article about: This thread is intended to be a collector’s guide to buying various editions of Mein Kampf. The book’s publishing history is confusing, so you will probably see something in here with which

Hello, I came across an interesting copy of Mein Kampf (1936) but it appears that I could not match it from none of the books you posted this thread. I don't believe the copy I hold is fake but it does seem rare. Please let me know if you can give me advice

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A Guide to Collecting Mein Kampf
    P
    Many

sonfeerny ; I would like to see it. Can you post photos or scans of it? I need a good, sharp photos or scans of the cover, the spine, and the title page, thanks. Dwight

JMM
    ?

Photos please

sonfeerny; I forgot to welcome you aboard, nice to see you joining our Forum. I took the liberty of copying your photos and posting them below. We still need a god photo of the front cover. I have never seen another example of the specific edition you are asking about, and there is nothing about it in Mein Kampf, A Descriptive Bibliography. My guess is that it is an example of a red-leather-bound deluxe edition. There is a deluxe edition that is a regular Volksausbabe with a loose-leaf, signed photo of Hitler, so I wonder if this edition also came with the added photo. Dwight

JMM
    ?

The "closest" I could find online was Hitler's personal copy that was removed from is Munich apartment and that was sold at auction for about USD 20,000

Attachment 1506227Attachment 1506228

JMM, thanks for that information and for taking the time to find it. To me, the most interesting feature of sonfeerny's copy is that the author and title are together in 1 bay on the spine and in the corresponding rather small print. There appears to be nothing on the front cover. Dwight

JMM
    ?

More and better pics would help...

Thank you Dwight and JMM for your input. I've taken the liberty of uploading a video of the book on YouTube, but it is unlisted. I will post the link here so you can view. I purchased this from an individual in NY. He told me that his grandfather acquired it during WW2.

Here is the Link: Mein Kampf (rare edition) - YouTube

?

I have Pastore's book, Mein Kampf a descriptive bibliography, and refer to it frequently, however it does have some problems. For example, on pp. 272-274, he shows a Wedding Edition which he describes as a Kriegsmarine imprinted copy. Actually, the inprint is for the city of Solingen, and has nothing to do with the Kriegsmarine. The same goes for the dedication page, which is signed by the Mayor of Solingen. I do not how he got the Kriegsmarine involved. Also, I am somewhat troubled by the fact that several chapters are taken verbatim from "Hitler's Mein Kampf in Britain and America, a Publishing History 1930-1939" by Barnes, yet nowhere does Pastore cite or otherwise credit this work. Still I value the book and appaud Pastore et al for the effort. The photos are worth the price of the book. (I actually meant this reply to the initial post by Dwight introducing the topic, where he mentions the Pastore book. I am very ignorant when it comes to computers LOL).
    Last edited by kstim; 06-30-2021 at 06:48 PM. Reason: I posted on wrong thread

kstim , thanks for the observations. Having had several of my own works plagiarized without credit, I especially appreciate your observation, " I am somewhat troubled by the fact that several chapters are taken verbatim from "Hitler's Mein Kampf in Britain and America, a Publishing History 1930-1939" by Barnes, yet nowhere does Pastore cite or otherwise credit this work." I am currently working on a book about the so-called HMS Baralong Affairs in WW1. In the course of the research I have found that failing to use source notes is fairly common among European writers of historical events, especially among the British. That might be due to the publishers not requiring them in order to keep publishing costs down. Thanks again for your insight. Dwight

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast