Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Information on this print? Please

Article about: Arches France watermark? Occupied France? Hitler signed is print but is this original copy or reproduction? Older paper original waterproof Thanks Andy

Default Information on this print? Please

Arches France watermark? Occupied France?Information on this print? PleaseInformation on this print? PleaseInformation on this print? PleaseInformation on this print? Please
    Hitler signed is print but is this original copy or reproduction? Older paper original waterproof
    Thanks Andy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Information on this print? Please
    P
    Many

Hi Andy.

This is not something I have seen before, but the signature doesn't resemble any Hitler signature I have seen before.

Hopefully someone will be able help futher.

Kind regards,

Will.

?

Hello Andy,

I've been looking at your picture for a while now and doing some research.

The picture is from the painter Paul Schuppisch from Vienna and was distributed by the Robert Röhr publishing house in Breiter Weg 137 Magdeburg. In 1939 the publisher brought out a catalog called "Röhr Verlag Nationalistische Bilder". It contained images that could be ordered as colored light prints, hand prints, copper intaglio prints, original photos or postcards.

Your picture of Reich Chancellor Adolf Hitler is already in the first edition of the catalogue. In the attached photo at the top center. (Photo source: AbeBooks, Röhr. Verlag nationalsozialistischer Bilder. Farbtdrucke, Handdrucke, Kupfertiefdrucke, Originalfotos, Postkarten by Röhrverlag Magdeburg:: (1939) | Galerie für gegenständliche Kunst, as of January 31, 2023)

Information on this print? Please

Now for the watermark. The paper with this watermark comes from the Arches paper mill in the French commune of Arches in the Vosges, in the Grant Est region (until 2015 Lothringen/Lorraine). This paper mill was founded in 1492 and to this day produces high-quality artist paper for all techniques.

Now we come to the bad news. In my opinion it is a fake. Even if I'm not an art expert, there are several indications of a forgery.

For one thing, the watermark has obviously been cropped. Usually the watermark is in a corner of the sheet, some distance away from both the side and bottom of the sheet. In this case, the watermark not only touches the edge, but a part is also missing.

Short explanation:
    Cropping the watermark is an old trick used on fake Salvatore Dali images back in the 80's. He was seriously ill in 1979 and swore under oath that he had not produced any more graphics after 1980. At that time, dubious editors also tried to crop Arches paper in such a way that the Arches paper type was still visible, but the word France and the infinity sign were no longer visible. The reason for this is that the watermark is changed again and again and it is therefore possible to determine the period of origin, although this variant with Arches and below France and the infinity sign was probably introduced after 1982.

Since this note can also be seen in your picture, the paper is from 1982 at the earliest. However, since a part is still missing underneath, it is probably even new. Today under the note France and the infinity sign there is a aditional letter for the exact paper designation, for example a ornate V for the paper Velin d'Arches.

The fact that the forgers did not completely cut off the line with France and the infinity sign is probably due to the fact that there is a list of Arches watermarks on the Internet in which this variant is dated (without the modern letter underneath) as an unknown period (source: Papiere und Wasserzeichen, Galerie Champetier, as of January 31, 2023). It's only when you investigate more deeply that you find out that it was used after 1982, but the counterfeiters probably didn't do that much work because they just wanted to swindle money quickly.

Secondly, there is the signature. The pictures were sold (if it were an original) without such a signature. But you said it was printed. Actually, it should have been signed afterwards. But no matter how many signatures I saw from Hitler, none looked like this one. It is vaguely reminiscent of the signature that can be found on Wikipedia (source: File:Signatur Adolf Hitler.svg - Wikimedia Commons, as of January 31, 2023), but looks more like a loaner tried it to paint. Just that the line inside the "H" runs parallel is suspicious, with all his signatures I've ever seen it was transverse. Likewise, the "r" at the end with this w-like double swing is absolutely untypical. Overall, in my opinion, the whole signature is simply not correct.

I think someone reproduced the picture from the catalog on modern paper and then put a forged signature of Hitler under it in order to sell it for as much money as possible.

At least that's the conclusion from my research.

I'm sorry not to be able to give you better news, but I hope it helps you and maybe you can still get your money back.

Best regards
    Wolf

Thankyou your research is impeccable and disturbing and now to get my money back.