Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Interesting German Letter from WW2.

Article about: Pinned to the letter looks to be an old obituary for two separate German soldiers. One of the soldiers is named “Willi Bremmer”. It looks to me like Willi Bremmer was the soldier who wro

Default Interesting German Letter from WW2.

Pinned to the letter looks to be an old obituary for two separate German soldiers. One of the soldiers is named “Willi Bremmer”. It looks to me like Willi Bremmer was the soldier who wrote this letter. He was apparently killed in action about 3 weeks after writing this letter. The recipient of the letter likely pinned the obituary onto the letter as this was most likely the last letter they received from their friend.

According to the Volksbund, there was a Wilhelm Bremmer who was born on January 3rd 1922 in Bad Wildungen. He was badly wounded near Orel on August 18th 1942 and wound die the next day in a field hospital near Bolkhov on August 19th. The letter reads:

“Russia, 23rd July 1942.

My dear friend Otto,

Hearty thanks for your letter of 30 June of this year. Since everything is peaceful at the moment, I’ll briefly answer it. Above all, I hope things are going well for you, which I can also say is true of me up to now.

Three weeks ago we began a short deployment to the front, to cut off the strong Russian forces that had broken through, and to establish the new defensive line. At the moment the situation is being maintained here in this section of the Front. When and where things will start up again, no one knows. At least we were victorious again and set the Russians back firmly. Although apart from that, the Russian artillery really hit us hard. Otherwise, the situation is calm again and we’re waiting for our next assignment.

The word is going around again that we’ll come out of it to be refreshed. So let’s hope for the best. Our regiment has now been in Russia since 22 June 1941 and you can imagine how we are longing for the homeland.

It can be said of the successes of our troops in the South and on the African front that incredible things have been achieved. Let’s hope that in the next year the Russians will be knocked down for good.

From what you write, it may be that you’re beginning an Uffz training course. Let’s hope for the best, of all things, that you’ll soon be introducing yourself to me as an Uffz.

I have also undergone a 6-8 week Uffz training course and was really glad when it was over.

Well, I’ve now been serving for almost 2 ½ years; how quickly the time passes. I know how much we always wanted to keep in touch. Those were good times, especially our enthusiasm, which already leaves a lot to be desired with us. Hopefully we’ll be able to celebrate our reunion in the homeland soon.

Now I’ll stop for today and send you my warmest greetings.

Your friend, Willy Br.”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Interesting German Letter from WW2.
    P
    Many

Hi JB.

Another really interesting letter, thank you for sharing it with us.

I would guess that Willi and Kurt my have known eachother as they were the same age and from the same town. I wonder if all three men mentioned were actually childhood friends?

Bad Wildungen - Wikipedia

Name: Wilhelm Bremmer
    Date of birth: 03.01.1922
    Place of birth: Bad Wildungen
    Military Unit: 4./Kompanie Panzer Regment 35
    Death/missing date: 19.08.1942
    Death/missing place: Feldlazarett 26 mot. in Seveditschi bei Bolchow (Orerenskÿ)
    Service rank: Gefreiter

His cause of death is noted as Schwer Verwundet (18.8.1942): Pak Bauch (Severerly wounded: Anti tank gun, abdomen)

Wilhelm Bremmer was not recovered during our re-interment activities. The planned transfer to the collective cemetery in Kursk - Besedino was,
    therefore, unfortunately not possible. His name will be recorded in the cemetery's memorial book.

Name: Kurt Ude
    Date of birth: 06.06.1922
    Place of birth: Bad Wildungen
    Military unit: 2./Kompanie Pionier Bataillon 125
    Death/missing date: 08.08.1942
    Death/missing place: Hauptverbandplatz Shurawskaja Sanko. 1/125 (Lkb.569) Krasnodar (Dinskaya)
    Service rank: Pionier

His cause of death is noted as Schwer Verwundet: Infanterie Geschuß Linke und Rechte Oberschenkel (Severerly wounded: Infantry shot, left and right thigh). Most likely shrapnel.

Kurt Ude has not yet been transferred to a military cemetery set up by the Volksbund.
    According to the information available to us, his grave is currently in the following place: Shurawskaja - Russland.

Kind regards,

Will.

Hey Will,

And yeah that’s very possible and would make sense. I wasn’t sure how the Kurt fellow was involved but all three of them being friends make a lot of sense. I guess he lost two good friends in the span of a few weeks. Thank you for the additional information.

Good day,

JB