Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

KIA German Wherpass?

Article about: Hello, I saw this wherpass that’s apparently from a guy who was killed in 1944. I haven’t got one of these yet and have some experience with documents and such from Vietnam War, but I’

Default KIA German Wherpass?

Hello,
    I saw this wherpass that’s apparently from a guy who was killed in 1944. I haven’t got one of these yet and have some experience with documents and such from Vietnam War, but I’m unfamiliar with the German language and wherpasses. Looking at this for about 30 minutes, I believe the book itself is legitimate based on the rusting on the paper from the rivets and the stamps. However, I haven’t the slightest idea what most of this information means and my main curiosity is whether this man was actually killed in action in 1944 or if the seller is pulling my leg. I was hoping someone could help me out with this real quick and maybe save me a headache or two. Any information anyone could tell me about this would be greatly appreciated.

I’m still learning a lot of this and try to help where I can but I appreciate your patience with my sporadic questions.

Thank you for taking the time to read my question, I really appreciate it.

Anyways, here’s some pictures of the wherpass.
    KIA German Wherpass?
    KIA German Wherpass?
    KIA German Wherpass?
    KIA German Wherpass?
    KIA German Wherpass?
    KIA German Wherpass?
    KIA German Wherpass?
    KIA German Wherpass?
    KIA German Wherpass?
    KIA German Wherpass?
    KIA German Wherpass?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement KIA German Wherpass?
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

The book looks fine to me but I'm not an authority on these. Of the 4 or 5 that I have, if the soldier was killed in Action they have an X across the front cover. Not sure if this was done all the time.

Some of our German speakers might be able to glean some information on whether he was KIA based on the information inside the book.

Here is a decent link giving an overview of what each page in the book was for.

The Wehrpass - Military Trader/Vehicles

Yours is a mid war book that looks like it is decently filled out. Probably lots to learn about the soldier. The last line on page 23 (if I am translating it correctly) indicates he was transferred to Army Group Center on Jan 5th 1944. Looks like he spent a lot of time on the eastern front unfortunately. Given that Army Group Center was destroyed in the spring of 1944, it is highly possible he was KIA.

Army Group Centre - Wikipedia
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks for the reply!

I will definitely go through that overview, thank you very much. Yes, very unfortunate service. The 465th did not have a good time at all in the East.

Hmm, it appears this man started his service in 1939 but the wherpass is mid war… would anyone happen to know if this is a red flag or not?

Specifically the 1942 type, I think.

MAP
    ?

The first "type" is pre-war. So I think this is correct. Again I'm not an authority on these.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Ah, ok. Thanks for letting me know!

I'm no expert regarding authenticity but I believe page 34 does in fact indicate that he was killed (gefallen ie fallen) in Russia on 5.1.44 whilst serving with Grenadier Regiment 456.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

The Wehrpass is the second variant (issued from 1938 onwards) so being issued to the man in 1939 is ok. There is nothing wrong with this example although unfortunately I can not find him in the Volksbund. It looks like he was a medic and as already mentioned he was with 3.Kp in Grenadier-Rgt 456 when he was killed on 5th January 1944.

Hi there.

As others have said, the Wehrpass is fine and he was definitely medically trained. This can be seen by the San. Ers. Abt = sanitäts ersatz abteilung entries, along with his training courses.

Page 3 contains all his personal information -
    His name was Ernst Ludwig Gärthöffner. Born either 29 February 1920 or 29 September 1920 (different dates from the Wehrpass and casualty card). He was from Essingen Landau, his religion is stated as Catholic (Kath = Katholic), he was single (Led = Ledig), he was a Gardener (Gärtner), his father was called Michael and he was a shoemaker (Schuhmacher), his mother was called Barbara and her maiden name was Gies. The page with his photo shows his blood group as O (Blutgruppe O).

Page 4 shows he attended compulsory and vocational school (Volkschule und Berufs schule). His next of kin details are at the bottom of the page.

Page 12 shows all of his active service units.

Page 20 shows he was trained on the Pistole 08 (Luger). I’ve noticed medical personnel seemed to only be trained with a pistol and would assume it’s because of the Geneva Convention, eg a medic could use their pistol to protect patients.

Page 21 shows any courses or training he underwent. These two for example - basic training (Grundausbildung) and medical training (Sanitäts Dienst).

Page 22 shows his promotions.

Page 23 shows he was awarded the Russian front medal - Ostmedaille (Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42).

Page 26 shows he had a ‘work vacation’ (Arbeitsurlaub)

Page 32 shows where he was deployed during active service.

Page 34 (as has been said) shows he was killed in action on 5 January 1944.

I couldn’t find anything on the Volksbund (German war graves site) either, but I did find a casualty card for him. The birth date differs from the one in the Wehrpass, but these kinds of mistakes are common.

Full name: Ernst Gärthöffner
    Birth date: 29 February 1920
    Birth Place: Essingen Landau
    Military Rank: Unteroffizer
    Military Unit: 3./Kompanie Grenadier Regiment 456
    Death date: 5 January 1944
    Death Place: Matrassy (ca 16 km südl Gorodok)
    Cause of death: A. G. Voltreffer = Artillerie Geschuß Volltreffer (Artillery shot direct hit). This could explain why he isn’t registered with the Volksbund, eg he was vaporised by a direct artillery strike.

Kind regards,

Will
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KIA German Wherpass?  
    Last edited by Willmore; 11-26-2021 at 05:17 PM.

Wow, thank you for all the replys! This is even more information than I could have even hoped for, thank you all very much! Very unfortunate end for this young man, quite sad…I’m glad I started collecting later on, after I have had experiences in life showing me the value of human life and the nightmarish effects of war. It’s amazing that Willmore was able to find his death card and thank you all for helping me with this and taking the time out of your days…