Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Need helping translating casualty card I came across

Article about: Found this after researching death card was hoping for more info thanks

?

He could have been considered a German national even as a Belgian and was put into the Wehrmacht. He would have known Belgian and possibly other languages which was valuable for abwehr operations.

I would think it will be hard to find much information at the kompanie level of such a unit. You would have to read many Brandenburg books and may only find tidbits or information about the larger structure of the III. Bataillon.

Lehr-Rgt. Brandenburg
    neu (Stab seit Febr. 1944 in der Fp.Ü. ), dazu die Heimatstäbe der der vier Regimenter. Juli 1944 wurde das
    Alarm-Rgt. Brandenburg als III. und IV. Btl. eingegliedert. Der Heimatstab Brandenburg bildetet Febr. 1945
    das III./Pz.Gren.Ers.u.Ausb.Rgt. "Großdeutschland" in Schlesien.
    Gliederung
    1943: Erg.Abt. (1. - 4. Kp.), Abw.Stamm-Abt. (1. - 4. V-Kp.), Legionärs-Erg.Kp. und Abwehrschule.
    1944: I. und II. Btl. mit 1. - 4. Genesenden-Kp. und Legionärs-Lehr-Kp.
    1944 (Juli): I. Btl. (1. - 4. Kp.), II. Btl. (5. - 8. Kp.), III. Btl. (9. - 12. Kp., IV. Btl. (13. - 16. Kp.), 17. Lehr-Kp.
    und 18. Kp.
    Unterstellung Div. Brandenburg, als Ersatztruppe in Brandenburg; bei Kriegsende I. - III. Btl. in Oberkrain
    (Veldes, St. Veit, Stein), IV. Btl. in Ostpreußen (Angerburg, zuletzt Weichsel).

Lehr-Regiment Brandenburg z.b.V. 800

Sonderverband Brandenburg

EHRI - Lehr-Regiment Brandenburg z.b.V. 800 / Sonderverband Brandenburg / Division Brandenburg z.b.V. 800 / Panzergrenadier-Division "Brandenburg"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need helping translating casualty card I came across
    P
    Many

found this !

That is the exact death card I own.

?

It is a nice card and even better that it is a Brandenburger example. Interesting note that his casualty card says he was shot in the heart while the death card says he was shot in the neck.

The location where he was killed can be found in Russia and is called Stavropol'skaya. It is 35km south of Krasnodar. Not far from the Black Sea, far south of Rostov-on-Don.

He is listed on the Volksbund as Josef Herbrandt. Died 5km südost Stawropolskaja im Schebsehtal. Not all remains in the area have been found nor could any be positively identified as belonging to Josef. He either has not been found or has been reinterred as an unknown soldier at the cemetery in Krasnodar-Apscheronsk.

The Brandenbergers are a very interesting unit and members often spoke multiple languages or had mixed heritage.

One of the most famous incidents came during the 1942 campaign in Russia. A force of 62 Brandenburgers under the command of Baron Adrian von Fölkersam penetrated far into Soviet territory. Disguised in NKVD uniforms and riding in Red Army trucks they passed themselves off so convincingly that von Fölkersam even managed to get a tour of the positions around Maikop (in the Caucasus) with its commander.

Here are two Brandenburg death cards from my collection -

Posts 714 and 715 -
    Post your death notices

Posts 752 and 753 -
    Post your death notices

The below soldier was not a Brandenburger, but was in a unit that was under the control of the Abwehr (German intelligence) which contained members of the Brandenburgers -

Posts 667 and 668 -
    Post your death notices

Kind regards,

Will.

Quote by Eschborn View Post
    Hello,

if you are interested, AMEL is one of the German-speaking municipalities that Belgium received as compensation for the 1st World War.
    Like many people, he may have been drafted into the Wehrmacht after the invasion of Belgium or may have been a volunteer given the specificity of the unit.
    As of May 18th 1940 Amel became part of the Reich and Josef may have willingly joined the Wehrmacht as a German speaking citizen of this part of Belgium. As the war went on more men sought to hide from being drafted into the Wehrmacht or the Waffen SS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2