Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Opinions on this Michael Wittmann letter

Article about: page 334 "Michael Wittmann and the Waffen SS Tiger Commanders of the ..., Volume 1" Robert Pertuss is mentioned

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Alan as you aware from discussions elsewhere doubt has been cast as to the originality of this document and signature , opinions have been given that the tone of the langauge and manner of unit identification , font Latin and Blockschrift etc is incorrect for a document such as this and it is unlikely that a junior grade Officer even one who had received high awards would have their own personal headed notepaper.

I would tread with care here as it would appear that the only known examples of this document have been produced by the same dealer unless a similar document can be produced from a totally seperate source which can be 100 % originated .... i don't think in this case that it is safe to assume that because Wittmann was relatively famous he would have his own notepaper.
    A shame to read this, but my previous post mentioned some of the issues raised above, though lets hope evidence can be found to verify its authenticity.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions on this Michael Wittmann letter
    P
    Many

?

On the question of the authenticity of the notepaper/typewriter, I wonder if it would be possible to establish the origins of the two other letters in post no. 23 above? I was wondering if they are copies from the collection of SS records which I understand is in the Berlin archive centre and also available as microfilm copies in archives in the USA? (see Collection of Foreign Records Seized and http://downloads.sturmpanzer.com/gui...ficerindex.pdf).

I'm afraid I've no experience of using these particular records or archives, but it may be that an enquiry to the archive in question could establish whether these letters are included within the original record.

Regards, Philip

Quote by Feuerbach View Post
    Far from being an expert, but looking at the signature it looks some what hesitant. It seems as if it was writen very slowly, missing the flowing lines one would expect from a signature. At some points the lines are wobbly (W), and there is no sign of ink spray around the signature.
    Again Im no expert on this matter, nor have I ever seen a authentic Wittmann signature, just my thoughts.
    Any body have a Wittmann signature for comparison?
    Handwriting experts do look at this very thing , signature has been written slowly and not the usual free flowing way .

Just my 2 cents worth, but, personally, I cannot imagine his SS superiors condoning his having personalized stationary printed up-and using it for official communications. This would be an act of hubris on his part and a disrespect to his SS superiors who likely did not have personalized stationary. Whether he held the RK or not would be irrelevant.
    As for the paper used, it looks oddly like an old forgers trick of tearing out a blank free end paper from a period book and trimming it down to use as a fake document with period paper.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by DrPMC View Post
    On the question of the authenticity of the notepaper/typewriter, I wonder if it would be possible to establish the origins of the two other letters in post no. 23 above? I was wondering if they are copies from the collection of SS records which I understand is in the Berlin archive centre and also available as microfilm copies in archives in the USA? (see Collection of Foreign Records Seized and http://downloads.sturmpanzer.com/gui...ficerindex.pdf).

I'm afraid I've no experience of using these particular records or archives, but it may be that an enquiry to the archive in question could establish whether these letters are included within the original record.

Regards, Philip
    Philip, thanks to your post I have found the microfilm roll that I need to see. I am going to visit the National Archive branch located here in Atlanta to see if it is possible to view it there or if they can obtain it for me to view. If that fails I will purchase a copy, which is $125. Here's hoping I can verify this document. I will report back here with my findings.

Alan
    Last edited by mailalan; 01-31-2014 at 12:48 AM.

Indeed i am looking forward to see how this turns out. Very interesting thread and in due time answers will be forthcoming.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4