Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 65 of 98 FirstFirst ... 15 55 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 75 ... LastLast

Post your death notices

Article about: That depends really Dagon, i can read the printed words on the death cards but actual handwritting can be a totally different matter, it can be quite difficult sometimes but i could try

11./Kompanie Jäger Regiment 207 - Emil Zellner

Surname:
    Emil
    Forename:
    Zellner
    Jäger
    Date of birth:
    Place of birth:
    Ergoldsbach
    Date of death/becoming missing:
    Place of death/becoming missing:
    Krymskaja

I was unable to find an entry on the Volksbund for Emil. Maybe his cause of death could be the reason why.

Gefallen : V Panzer überfahren = Von Panzer überfahren
    Killed in action : Run over by a tank

When I research a death card, I tend to search for any other casualties from the same unit who fell on the same day. In this case I found two other soldiers from the Regiment who lost their lives in the same way in the same area - Ernst Schlamp of 11./Kompanie and Heinrich Rank of 12./Kompanie.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your death notices   Post your death notices  

Last edited by Willmore; 04-03-2023 at 02:59 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Post your death notices
    P
    Many

Gerhard Kapp, an SS Mann born 16.3.26 and killed 20.9.44 in Finnland. Not found his card yet.

Post your death notices

5./Kompanie Reserve Gebirgsjäger Bataillon 99 - Josef Mehr

Surname:
    Mehr
    Forename:
    Josef
    Service rank:
    Jäger
    Date of birth:
    Place of birth:
    Häder Landkreis Augsburg
    Death/missing date:
    Death/missing place:
    Tr Übungszl Le Valdahon

Josef Mehr is buried in the military cemetery in Andilly.
    Endgrablage: Block 16 Reihe 4 Grab 273

Casualty card information -

16.6.1943 - 16.30pm Truppenübungsplatz (Military Training area) Le Valdahon

Verstorben : Rohrkrepierer 1. Gr. W.(franz) Unfall = Versorben : Rohrkrepierer 1 Granatwerfer (französisch) Unfall.
    Deceased : Burst 1 Mortar/Grenade Launcher (French) Accident.

It appears that the term Rohrkrepierer refers to a situation where a round explodes in the firing tube or barrel of a mortar or artillery piece. One cause could have been a squib load.
    Squib load - Wikipedia

I looked for other casualty cards and there are three other soldiers who are listed as having died in the same incident - Franz Ristl, Siegfried Ballerstaller and Fritz Schmid, all of 5./Kompanie.

Le Valdahon -
    Valdahon – Wikipedia

Reserve Gebirgsjäger Bataillon 99 -
    The 99th Mountain Infantry Replacement Battalion was mobilized on August 27, 1939 in Sonthofen, in Military District VII. The battalion was subordinate to Division 157 andprovided the replacement for the 1st Mountain Division. At the beginning of May 1941, the replacement battalion made contributions to set up the 2nd Battalion of the 727 Infantry Regiment. At the time of the division, all units were in Sonthofen. The Reserve Battalion came under the division of the 467th The Reserve Battalion came under the formation of the 157th Reserve Division and was transferred to Brianson, France.
    Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon 99 - Lexikon der Wehrmacht
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your death notices   Post your death notices  

Post your death notices  
    Last edited by Willmore; 04-11-2023 at 04:47 PM.

Michael Westenthanner (Priest) - 2./Kompanie Infanterie Regiment 20 (mot)

Surname:
    Westenthanner
    Forename:
    Michael
    Gefreiter
    Date of birth:
    Place of birth:
    Neuötting
    Date of death/becoming missing:
    Place of death/becoming missing:
    Roshestweno

Gefallen : I. G. R. B = Gefallen : Infanterie Geschuß Rücken Brust
    Killed in action : Infantry Shot, back and chest

Sometimes when collecting strange coincidences happen. Last year I posted a death card to a Priest called Martin Götz (post #618) who served in a Gebirgsjäger Regiment. I found some additional information about Martn Götz along with a photo of him and two other theology students. One of those theology students was called Michael Westenthanner, who was from Neuötting. I have managed to obtain what I think is a death card to another person from the photo, Michael Westenthanner.

I have posted the group photo at the bottom before, but for context I am posting it again .

At the Dreikönigssingen in 1932, three archangels preceded the procession of the kings (from left): theology students Michael Westenthanner from Neuötting, Willi Noppenberger, farmer's son of the Reindl farmer in Höchfelden near Töging, and Martin Götz. All three died in the war.

Description and poignant photo courtesy of -
    Den Nazis die Stirn geboten | Region Muhldorf

Post your death notices  
    Last edited by Willmore; 01-21-2022 at 01:37 PM.

That is some great luck and perseverance Willmore, to locate another sterbebild from this unfortunate trio. Hope you can locate Willi Noppenberger now to complete a very interesting group.

Thanks again BlackCat. It was pure luck to be honest and it would be nice to add Willi Noppenberger, so I will have to keep an extra sharp eye out.

ATK
    ?

Bought this one today...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your death notices  

Hi ATK.

Name: Johann Gruber
    Birth date: 17 Feb 1923
    Birth Place: Esting bei Titrstenfeldbruetz
    Military Rank: Grenadier
    Military Unit: 1./Kompanie Grenadier Regiment 234
    Death date: 22 Feb 1943
    Death Place: bei Gorodoschtsche 22 km östl Balchow

Verwundet :
    Verstorben : H. V. PL (Hauptverbandplatz) Ratjardowa *

Wounded :
    Deceased : Main Aid Station Ratjardowa*

* I'm not sure of the translation of Ratjardowa

Kind regards,

Will
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your death notices  

Johann Scheibenzuber - Gebirgs Sanitätsschule - Lehrkompanie St Johann In Tirol
    (Mountain Medical School - Training Company St Johann In Tirol)

Name:
    Johann Scheibenzuber
    Birth date:
    Birth Place:
    Hofleiten Rosenheim
    Military Rank:
    Pionier
    Military Unit:
    Gebirgs Sanitätsschule Lehrkompanie St Johann In Tirol
    Death date: 26.9.1942
    Death Place: 21.00 - Reserve Lazarett Wörgl, Austria

Although the circumstances of his death are not available, I would suspect it is another case of a negligent discharge or training accident.

Verstorben : Durchschuß Leber und Magen Bluterguß und Verblutung in den Brustraum
    Deceased : Bullet liver and stomach bruising and bleeding into the chest

I find it interesting that his Rank (Pionier) and Erkennungsmarke (3./Gebirgs Pionier Ersatz Bataillon 54) are not really connected to the medical service, although I have seen examples of this type of training course (ausbildung) on page 21 of the Wehrpaß. I would imagine that he was sent to the Mountain Medical School Training Company to be trained in basic first aid or as a Krankenträger (Stretcher bearer) then returned to his unit.

Last edited by Willmore; 01-23-2022 at 01:24 AM.

ATK
    ?

Can you please provide me the link for the death cards?

Regards
    Tuncer..

Page 65 of 98 FirstFirst ... 15 55 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 75 ... LastLast