Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS Deathcard Normandy

Article about: Hello gentlemen, I need your help to determine if possible the unit of SS soldiers who fell during the Battle of Normandy and of which I have the obituary. #1 Josef Dorfner fell on July 2, 1

?

Default SS Deathcard Normandy

Hello gentlemen,
    I need your help to determine if possible the unit of SS soldiers who fell during the Battle of Normandy and of which I have the obituary.

Josef Dorfner fell on July 2, 1944 in Tournay sur Odon. He rests in La Cambe. Perhaps he belonged to Frundsberg or Hohenstaufen?

SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy

Albert Dostler fell on July 6, 1944 in Grainville sur Odon probably during the fighting on Hill 112. Perhaps the Hohenstaufen in view of the dates and the place?
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy

Josef Egger fell on July 5, 1944 in the South-West of Carentan and who belonged to a pioneer unit. He rests in the cemetery of Orglandes. I imagine rather the Gotz von Berlichingen?
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy

Leopold Fureder fell on June 28, 1944 west of Caen. I haven't been able to find his Volksbund file or any other information on the Internet.
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy

Max Gastinger fell on June 22 (according to the volksbund) or July 16, 1944 (according to the sterbebild) at "Le Colombien" (perhaps it is the village of La Colombe in the Manche department) . He rests in the cemetery of Marigny.
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy

Sterbebild of Hans Hasholzner who fell on August 23, 1944 and is buried in the cemetery of Champigny Saint André.
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy

Sterbebild of Matthäus Hoffer fell on June 14, 1944 in "Vaigres" (I don't see at all what this place can correspond to). In view of the dates I suppose that he belonged to the Götz or to the Hitlerjugend. He rests in the cemetery of Mont-de-Huisnes.
    SS Deathcard Normandy

SS Deathcard Normandy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Deathcard Normandy
    P
    Many

?

Sterbebild of Josef Holzapfel fell on July 9, 1944 at "la Surenerie" in the area of ​​La Haye du Puits. In view of the epaulets perhaps a former Leibstandarte transferred to the Hitlerjugend. He is buried in the Cambe cemetery.
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy

Sterbebild of Josef Lindlbauer, driver in a medical unit who fell on July 18, 1944 in an air attack at Château le Mezeray near Pontchardon. He rests in the cemetery of Saint Désir de Lisieux.
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy

?

Sterbebild of Alois Maierhofer who fell on July 7, 1944 in Normandy. He rests in the Cambe cemetery.
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy

Sterbebild of Alois Michel fell on July 02, 1944 in the South West of Caen (It is indicated "Mons" on the Volksbund). He rests in the Cambe cemetery.
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy

Sterbebild of Otto Österreicher who died on July 10, 1944 in a field hospital in Normandy. I couldn't find his file on the Volksbund.
    SS Deathcard Normandy

Sterbebild of Alois Putzinger, fallen on August 12, 1944 in Mortain. He rests in the cemetery of Mont de Huisnes.
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy

Sterbebild by Hans Rankl von Regen fallen on August 9, 1944. I have not been able to find its file on the volksbund.
    SS Deathcard Normandy

Sterbebild of August Rockenschaub who fell on June 29, 1944 in the fighting for Caen and was buried in La Cambe.
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy

Sterbebild of Karl Sinzinger who fell on July 10, 1944 in Normandy. He rests in the cemetery of Saint Désir de Lisieux.
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy

Sterbebild of Otto Vitzthum who fell on June 8, 1944 in Normandy. He rests in the cemetery of Champigny Saint André.
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy

Sterbebild of Karl Wimmer fell on August 4, 1944 at La Fresnaye. He rests in the Cambe cemetery.
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy

Sterbebild of Josef Wolf who fell on July 18, 1944 in Normandy. He rests in the Cambe cemetery.
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy
    SS Deathcard Normandy

Thank you for sharing more of your SS death cards, very interesting collection.

Here is the Volksbund entry for #14

Name: Johann Rankel
    Date of birth: 10.09.1925
    Place of birth: -
    Death/missing date: 08.08.1944
    Death/missing place: -
    Service rank: Sturmmann

Johann Rankel is buried in the military cemetery in Champigny-St.André.
    Gravesite: Endgrablage: Block 17 Grab 1912

Johann Rankel | Grabersuche-Online

Johann Rankl in the Regen County, Germany, Death Records, 1876-1983

Name: Johann Rankl
    Birth Date: 10 September 1925
    Death Date: 8 August 1944
    Death Place: Regen, Bayern (Bavaria), Deutschland (Germany)
    Civil Registration Office: Regen
    Father:Johann Rankl
    Mother: Berta Rankl
    Certificate Number: 96
    Laufende Nummer: 35
    Signatur: S 1/23

Hans is often short for Johann and 'von Regan' means his home town was Regan.

Kind regards,

Will.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Deathcard Normandy  

?

Hello,

I tried searches under various names for each man on Fold3, but I could not find a casualty card for any of them. Ran death locations when applicable in order to get a guess at what some of their units were. Only one I could find was Alois Putzinger may have been in SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 37 or SS-Flak-Abteilung 17 based on other casualties in Mortain. I saw a handful of men from the flak abteilung killed here during the second week of August. The Panzer Grenadier Regiment had a couple dozen casualty cards from Mortain between July 20 and August 11.
    Someone else may find more answers for you.

Ben

?

Good evening ,

Thank you for your messages. The sterbebild presented here are those for which I have not found any information on the volksbund or my ancestry so that is why the search is more difficult.

Best regards
    Pierre-Antoine

A very interesting collection Pierre-Antoine. Purely on the location and date I would suggest #1
    Josef Dorfner might have belonged to Frundsberg, specifically II Abteilung of SS Pz Rgt 10 as this unit was tasked with the assault along the Odon.