MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

translation

Article about: Hi, This paper note was found on the back of a framed citation for a kriegsverdienstkruez 2 klasse, dated 1944. I am hoping it will unlock some mystery involving the actual document. Thanks

Default translation

Hi, This paper note was found on the back of a framed citation for a kriegsverdienstkruez 2 klasse, dated 1944. I am hoping it will unlock some mystery involving the actual document. Thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture translation   translation  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement translation
    P
    Many

No connection to an award.

It's part of a letter to a relative (most likely the mother) of a KIA soldier whose first name was Rudolf, written by one of his comrades or superiors in reply to another letter in which the relative had apparently inquired about the circumstances of death and wondered how Rudolf could have suffered a fatal gunshot wound at the field kitchen.

(There has to be more text both preceding and following this page. It starts abruptly and breaks off mid-sentence.)

Hi, HPL, I had a strong feeling that the reply would be from you my friend. Actually, this only creates more confusion. First let me say thanks, I know that this type of writing is sometimes hard to translate, had already asked two friends from Germany, and they both said that "My mother would be able to read, but I dont know" So, this note, along with a small picture of a young man, in uniform, with a HJ leitstungabzeichen, are glued on the back of a framed citation. It was presented to one, Friedrich Fischer. It states, [typed], dem Oberrustmeister SS Friedrich Fischer in Aschaffenburg. As stated in first post, this is for a kriegsverdienstkreuz 2 klasse. Also stamped with A. Hitler, H. Himmler, and one other signature, at bottom. Do you see any story here? Why such a big deal for such a common award? What is the SS relation? I tried to research Friedrich, but to no avail. Any ideas? Thanks again.

"Oberrustmeister SS" is not a term of art with which I am familiar.

- - ------- - -

Our warm thanks to Andreas for his command of Sutterlin.

The document is quite sad, really.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    "Oberrustmeister SS" is not a term of art with which I am familiar.
    Neither have I.

The only context in which I have ever heard the term Oberrüstmeister was as a title of office held in feudal times by court officials in charge of arms and suits of armor, i.e. their ruler's Rüstkammer.

To be honest, the description doesn't sound good to me. Can you post a scan of the document?

Hi, Sorry, drifted for a bit. Here is the pictures of framed document, front and back. The citation is embossed. I think by enlarging the photos you will see all details. The back is the translated partial letter, the photo, and is stamped by the business that framed it [is my guess]. What do you think??
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture translation   translation  

I do not like the document at all sorry.

I feel the whole thing has been put together. The letter and maybe the frame being the only real parts.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

To be honest, I think it has been messed with.

Note how sloppily the "SS" is inserted; it's too far away from the name and, more importantly, not even properly aligned horizontally: It's half a line too low. Also, even if "Rüstmeister" was an actual title used by the SS (which it wasn't to begin with), the "SS" would appear directly next to it as a prefix or a suffix, not in the next line.

I think the "SS", the stamped Himmler signature and the photograph of the young W-SS soldier were added to this document to increase value. The letter is probably another random addition to give the piece more "personality" and "credibility". (If you think about it, why would a dead soldier's family glue a photograph of their loved one and one random fragment of a letter to the reverse side of a framed award document hung on the wall anyway?)

As for the "Oberrüstmeister" title as such, apart from its use in previous centuries, I have found that the term "Rüstmeister" is still used in theaters, referring to the person who makes and maintains prop weapons, helmets, armor, masks and other metal props and accessories:

Einzelne Theaterberufe
    Rüstmeister

Sure enough, Aschaffenburg had (and still has) a renowned theater. However, I would not completely rule out the possibility that the term was used for other civilian jobs back in the day, perhaps for museum officials with simiiar responsibilities. Surely not in a military/SS context, though.

?

I think black light test can be helpful with theses 3 documents, especially if one or two fakes are blended with a good one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast