Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

What has happened?

Article about: Every now and then I see photos where soldiers have stuck flowers in their uniforms. Was this done after a funeral, or some other kind of ceremony? I've always wondered about it. Anyone know

Question What has happened?

Every now and then I see photos where soldiers have stuck flowers in their uniforms. Was this done after a funeral, or some other kind of ceremony? I've always wondered about it. Anyone know?

What has happened?What has happened?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What has happened?
    P
    Many

?

The first thing i would think of is whenever there was a parade or they were sent to the front someone would give a flower to the marching soldiers.

My immediate thought was marching through a city or town where the citizenry have handed them flowers or stuck them inside of their pockets as they passed.

Kav

CBH
    ?

Hard to say for sure, but it is very early war if not pre-war, due to the lack of Combat awards shown.
    Could be one of the peaceful occupations that happened in the late 30's or the annexation of Austria.

I also see DD M35´s, a further indication its early war. The theory with austria or other *freed* territory sounds good to me, as it would fit the timeframe.
    Nice pictures, if you have more, feel free to show them!

Quote by Adravor View Post
    I also see DD M35´s, a further indication its early war. The theory with austria or other *freed* territory sounds good to me, as it would fit the timeframe.
    Nice pictures, if you have more, feel free to show them!
    Well, there are these ;-) The large one is mine; the other I found online.

What has happened?

What has happened?

Regarding the first photos: One is inscribed on the reverse "Invasion of Ludwigshafen" and the other has "Group Dewald." Someone was probably joking about invasion as they marched through Ludwigshafen on their way to France. That's my theory, anyway. Thanks for the clues, fellas.

Found this online, only description is: "Einzug in Kaufbeuren(City in Bavaria)" dated 1940.

What has happened?

I´ve also found pictures showing that it was done to celebrate the victory over france, and probably in general during parades.

Thank you Adravor, that's a nice photo!

Its part of the ritual of sending men in uniform off to the front and almost certain death. It happens to all armies at the start of nearly all wars, until the grim reality of what it means begins to dawn on those left behind.

What has happened?