Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Death Card Of Karl Freidhöfer.

Article about: According to the Volksbund, Karl was born on April 22nd 1928 in Hohenwarth . He held the rank of Grenadier. The card states that he served as a Panzer-pioneer. It says that on May 5th 1945,

Default WW2 Death Card Of Karl Freidhöfer.

WW2 Death Card Of Karl Freidhöfer.
    According to the Volksbund, Karl was born on April 22nd 1928 in Hohenwarth . He held the rank of Grenadier. The card states that he served as a Panzer-pioneer. It says that on May 5th 1945, Karl drowned near Tittmonning in the Salzach river. He would have been 17 years old. It also looks like he’s wearing a panzer uniform in the photo but I could be wrong. Definitely an interesting card. I’m not sure what specific unit he served with, or how exactly he ended up drowning.

If anyone finds any additional information on him I would greatly appreciate it.
    Last edited by Heartfeltzero; 02-18-2023 at 07:16 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 Death Card Of Karl Freidhöfer.
    P
    Many

An interesting death card, thank you for posting it. I did have a look for a casualty card, but could find nothing unfortunately

Kind regards,

Will.

Tittmonning was liberated on the 5th May, the same day as the town of Braunau Inn both in Bavaria.

Yeah I haven’t been able to find much either unfortunately, I’m gonna keep trying though. A part of me wonders if he committed suicide. It seems odd that he would accidentally drown on the same day American forces would enter the area.

It is a possibility that he took his own life and the family didn't want people to know. I did wonder if he was trying to cross the river to escape, or perhaps he was crossing the river as part of some reinforcements.