Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Letter/Postcard Written by German POW who was at Camp Breckinridge, Kentucky 1945.

Article about: The letter/postcard was written by POW Hans Stiess. He was writing to his uncle, Willi Stiess who lived in Philadelphia. The letter reads: “USA, 1st January 1945 Dear Uncle and Aunt I reci

Default WW2 Era Letter/Postcard Written by German POW who was at Camp Breckinridge, Kentucky 1945.

WW2 Era Letter/Postcard Written by German POW who was at Camp Breckinridge, Kentucky 1945.
    The letter/postcard was written by POW Hans Stiess. He was writing to his uncle, Willi Stiess who lived in Philadelphia.

The letter reads:

“USA, 1st January 1945

Dear Uncle and Aunt I recieved your letter, as well as your nice present. Please accept my utmost gratitude with this letter. I am also happy that you are all healthy and well. Naturally, we got used to the summer climate. We are also happy with our work. Unfortunately we didn't have snow during christmas time, like we are used to from back home. It seems the rainy season has started here. I would be especially happy if I could recieve a photograph of you. I will forward your salutations to my parents. Again, I wish you all the best for the new year and kind regards, your nephew Hans Stiess.”
    The postcard was written a few weeks later, again addressed to his uncle. It reads:

“USA, the 22nd of January 1945. My dears! I gratefully received your letter with big joy and thank you from my heart for the good wishes and return the same with all my heart. From my dear parents I am again, for some time, without news. It would make me very happy if you would send me a little picture of you. Heartfelt greetings, Hans.”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 Era Letter/Postcard Written by German POW who was at Camp Breckinridge, Kentucky 1945.
    P
    Many

Hi JB.

Another fantastic letter!

I guess people forget that Germans, at one time, made up one of the largest immigrant groups to America. I would love to know if Hans ever got to see his uncle and aunt before he returned to Europe after the war.

Kind regards,

Will.

Hey Will!

And I wonder the same thing! Or if he ever visited family in the US before the war. Definitely an interesting letter.

Good day!

JB

TWS
    ?

Quote by Willmore View Post
    Hi JB.

Another fantastic letter!

I guess people forget that Germans, at one time, made up one of the largest immigrant groups to America. I would love to know if Hans ever got to see his uncle and aunt before he returned to Europe after the war.

Kind regards,

Will.
    Hard for people in Central Texas to forget. Pull out a map and look at all the German town names.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

TWS
    ?

Quote by Heartfeltzero View Post
    Hey Will!

And I wonder the same thing! Or if he ever visited family in the US before the war. Definitely an interesting letter.

Good day!

JB
    It might be possible to find descendants of the immigrant uncle if he had offspring. If census/phone book/genealogy research reveals living descendants you could attempt contacting them and ask. Might be awkward, but depends on how motivated you are to find answers to those questions. You've got a full name and address in Philly to start with.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."