Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Letter Written by German Partisan Hunter in Italy.

Article about: This letter was written by a Christel. He served in the Artillery Regiment 356 within the 356 infantry division. With his unit, he was deployed to fight partisans in northern Italy between L

Default WW2 Era Letter Written by German Partisan Hunter in Italy.

This letter was written by a Christel. He served in the Artillery Regiment 356 within the 356 infantry division. With his unit, he was deployed to fight partisans in northern Italy between Liguria and Piedmont. The letter reads:

“Feldpost to Miss Trude Baer in Oberissigheim at Hanau, Heng street 11
    Sender: First Wachtmeister (?) Sigel, Feldpost # 48680

Rome 26-10-1943
    my dear Trude!
    Now you are to receive another letter from me. As you can see, I am in Rome and hope to find at least one letter from you when I return. When I will return to our actual position I do not know. There is still much to do here. The situation here is very explosive, because the Italians are not thrilled that we are here. The Americans fly over here almost daily and one can only hope that they will spare this beautiful city after the devastating attack in July. These gangsters do not even have respect for the Holy City and the Holy Father.

Nothing is happening here and accordingly we have no fighting. Personally, I would prefer to return to my unit as soon as possible. I would rather sit by a river somewhere and track down partisans in the woods than run the risk of being shot in the back by a little Italian here in this big city. The only advantage here in Rome is that there are many markets with enough market goods and you are thus well supplied with everything. We lack nothing here and have enough cigarettes, wine, plenty of good fruit and vegetables. The downside to the markets here, as mentioned earlier, is the risk of ambush. Therefore, you can never stay here alone or only with 2 or 3 men.

Accordingly, one can not simply stroll through the city or stay in peace once somewhere. In 2 days at least a small change reaches me, because there I will drive together with some other comrades and a higher commander to Abruzzo. There we are to settle a special order about which I may not speak or write of course.

We were promised that we would be allowed to spend a few days by the sea after completing the job. You can therefore keep your fingers crossed for me that we will have nice weather then and that I can splash around in the sea a bit.
    Dear Trude, unfortunately there is nothing else exciting to report and I will therefore close. I wish you all the best, many greetings and kisses from your Christel.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 Era Letter Written by German Partisan Hunter in Italy.
    P
    Many