Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Letter Written by German POW in Kansas. He writes, Asking About The Whereabouts of His Family in Berlin.

Article about: This letter was written by a Udo G Albrecht. He had been captured in Europe at some point and brought over to the USA, Specifically to Camp Concordia in Kansas. The camp kept German Prisoner

Default WW2 Era Letter Written by German POW in Kansas. He writes, Asking About The Whereabouts of His Family in Berlin.

WW2 Era Letter Written by German POW in Kansas. He writes, Asking About The Whereabouts of His Family in Berlin.
    This letter was written by a Udo G Albrecht. He had been captured in Europe at some point and brought over to the USA, Specifically to Camp Concordia in Kansas. The camp kept German Prisoners from May 1st 1943 through November 8th 1945. At its height, the camp held over 4,000 Germans. Strategically located in the heartland of America, where prisoners could be employed on local farms. The letter is written in French and is addressed to Switzerland.

The letter reads:

“ 29th April 1945

Dear Babi, Roger and Roman. I have never received replies from you, yet I have written so many times, including to (?). You can very well imagine how I am sad due to the unfortunate events. The only thing that can console me is that the war will soon be over! I have the form hope that Lyda has arrived at your place after the loss that we had to endure last december.

Otherwise - I hope at least that she was able to leave Berlin after that debacle, like I told her so many times in my letters. I ask myself with anguish what has happened to all those uncles, aunts, cousins, all the members of the Likkat family. Write to me, then, and tell me the news not only of them but of our two granddaughters. Hug them tight, for their poor grandpa, and I wish that they behave well. I shall only ask God that he let me, in a not so far future, come back to Europe and to see my family again. And for you all, my very best regards, good health and do not lose hope. I thank you for all you have done for my granddaughters, but specially for Lyda! Write soon! A thousand hugs. Udo. “

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 Era Letter Written by German POW in Kansas. He writes, Asking About The Whereabouts of His Family in Berlin.
    P
    Many

?

Interesting that he was writing to Switzerland and asking about his grandchildren which would make him an older combatant.
    I can't figure out if he's writing to his daughter or wife or sister but the more I read it, the more I'm leaning towards sister who has taken his grandchildren to safety near Geneva and that Lyda is his daughter or wife.
    Whatever the relationship is between them, it's a fascinating insight and there are so many questions relating to it that we will never know.
    He only had a week to go before the end of the war, I hope his family was reunited soon after.
    Thank you for posting once again these intriguing snapshots of individual lives.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Hi JB.

I echo Adrian, another really inereresting piece of social history.

Kind regards,

Will.

?

No. 8 Rue Daubin, Geneva.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Era Letter Written by German POW in Kansas. He writes, Asking About The Whereabouts of His Family in Berlin.  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

No problem! And I also suspect it’s most likely his sister. And yeah I didn’t really think about that, him being older and having grandkids. One thing I wish to know is when he was captured. I know towards the end of the war many were drafted regardless of age. But as you say, we will probably never know. Thank you for the comment, always happy to share these interesting letters.

Hey Will,

Always happy to share! Hope you’ve been doing well.

Good day,

JB

A picture of 6 Rue de Saroie, Geneva. Which appears to be the location the letter was forwarded to. Once again a very interesting letter.