Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Letter Written by German Soldier on the Eastern Front

Article about: This letter was written by a Hansl Kellermann. He was born on July 21st 1920. During the war he served with the Observation Detachment 27. The letter reads: “Feldpost to family L. Kellerma

Default WW2 Era Letter Written by German Soldier on the Eastern Front

This letter was written by a Hansl Kellermann. He was born on July 21st 1920. During the war he served with the Observation Detachment 27. The letter reads:

“Feldpost to family L. Kellermann in Rosenheim, Bavaria, Hindenburg street 6

Sender: First Private H. Kellermann, , Feldpost # 13768

August 2, 1944
    Dear Mom, dear Daddy !
    Finally mail has come for me too and I thank you for your letter number 2 for my birthday. I am well, the food is very good, only little sleep, because at night we are on the move and during the day you have to crawl, because otherwise you will be the victim of the planes that are here without a break.

They even bomb the smallest paths and with their on-board weapons they shoot at everything that moves. We have a girl here with us again and so again a small relief. If only the enemy planes would spare you in Rosenheim, for that is my great worry. Mother should distribute our valuable things in many places, also outside and even the furniture, because if an attack happens everything is gone and that doesn't have to be.

Father, you need to expand the basement and reinforce the outer wall with clay. Concreting wall openings and emergency exit. Believe me for once, because you lack all experience and I know everything enough. The cellar must be well supported, you need to paint the truss with flame retardant, as well as the wooden floor in the attic.

Probably my advice is of no use, because you always know everything better. The safe must be placed in the cellar, because if there is an attack, the pressure would break it. In the cellar it can fall over quietly and nothing could happen to the valuable things. Mom, you must follow my advice. You will see that I am right, and it is better to be safe than sorry. That is one of my principles. And now please write me again what news there is to report from home. I believe that many letters have already been lost. And now many warm greetings, your Hansl”
    Hansl would survive the war and pass away on May 15th 2011 in Rosenheim at the age of 90.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 Era Letter Written by German Soldier on the Eastern Front
    P
    Many

?

He sounds like a very level headed young man. I can imagine his father to be quite dominant and stubborn but he also appeals to his mother's good sense as well. It's quite an insight to the other side's way of thinking and dealing with the sort of problems we know little about. Wonderful hand writing as well. Thank you for posting.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Another very interesting letter Heartfeltzero. The concern voiced by Hansl clear as a son who knows what aerial bombing is like and his concern for parents so far from him. Fascinating.

No problem! Glad you enjoyed it.

Hi JB.

Another really interesting letter and it really brings home the worries that troops would have faced when at the front.

Hansl is normally a 'nick name' for Johann and Hans, so in this case Hans is the soldiers first name.

Kind regards,

Will.