Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Letter Written by SS-VT “Der Fürher” Soldier, 1940

Article about: This letter was written by an Alfred Linz. He was a German Soldier serving in the SS “Der Führer” regiment which was a part of the SS-VT (Verfügungstruppe). I’m told he was killed in

Default WW2 Era Letter Written by SS-VT “Der Fürher” Soldier, 1940

This letter was written by an Alfred Linz. He was a German Soldier serving in the SS “Der Führer” regiment which was a part of the SS-VT (Verfügungstruppe). I’m told he was killed in action but I can’t confirm that. In September 1939, the regiment would take part in the invasion of Poland. In 1942-43 the division saw action throughout Russia fighting with army group centre on the push towards Moscow. On return to the front at the beginning of 1943 it had been fitted out as a full-fledged Panzer division and re named “Das Reich”.

After again seeing action in the recapture of Kharkov, and at Kursk “Das Reich”was again sent for refit in the Bordeaux region of France. After 5 months of refit and training the division was marched north on June 6th 1944 this time to the St. Lo area of Normandy. It faced the American divisions that had landed at Omaha and Utah beaches. They would slowly retreat through France and retire behind the Westwall in September. After yet another refit the division took part in the Ardennes offensive as part of the 6th panzer army where it formed part of the north flank. 'Das Reich' fought through St. Vith and on into Bastogne where the American 101st put up a heroic defence of the town.

The letter was written earlier, on August 13th 1940. It reads:

Graz, 13.8.40

Dear Parents!

I received your letter today and thank you very much for it, but I find that the letter is again written in your somewhat provocative manner. I think it's best we leave the growl completely to the side to get a bone of contention out of the way.

I am currently assigned to the battalion administration and no longer have any field duties. This is something similar to Dad's office. The device is long gone! Pollux can rest easy.

Mother, I think you'll agree with me if I say that I’ll leave the VT and that I will continue my studies, specifically law.

Of course I also enjoyed the 15 Reichstaler. A soldier can use money like bread! I have already written to Grandma.

I met a very nice girl and I think I'm back to my old self. Mom, I think you can be happy with your son!

My platoon leader said I was his best man as I signed into the administration and that he was sorry for losing me!

Many kisses, Your Fredy

*Back of page*

Nothing new with Wein.
    Peter got the EK1 also!
    Next time more (?)
    Please write us soon and lengthy. “

If anyone has additional information on Alfred, I would appreciate it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 Era Letter Written by SS-VT “Der Fürher” Soldier, 1940
    P
    Many

Hi JB.

Thank you for posting.

There are three men called Alfred Linz on the Volksbund/Ancestry, but nothing points to them being the same man who wrote the letter.

Kind regards,

Will.

Hey Will,

I saw that as well. Seems like this might be one I won’t be able to confirm. Thank you though.

Good day,
    JB