Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 German Death Card of Kriegsmarine member Fritz Weinzierl.

Article about: According to the card, Fritz(Friedrich) was was a Pupil at a training school working towards becoming an Unteroffizier. He was also serving in the Kriegsmarine. He was only 17 years old when

Default WW2 German Death Card of Kriegsmarine member Fritz Weinzierl.

WW2 German Death Card of Kriegsmarine member Fritz Weinzierl.
    According to the card, Fritz(Friedrich) was was a Pupil at a training school working towards becoming an Unteroffizier. He was also serving in the Kriegsmarine. He was only 17 years old when on June 14th 1944 he was killed in action near Boulogne, France. I’m unsure of any details about how he was killed. The German war graves has his date of death as June 13th not 14th so I’m not sure which is correct. Based on research I’ve done there was a Type R-41 minesweeper that was bombed and sunk on June 13th in Boulogne by a Bristol Beaufighter aircraft. So Fritz may have been on board but I’m not sure. Any other information on him is greatly appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 German Death Card of Kriegsmarine member Fritz Weinzierl.
    P
    Many

Hi there.

A really interesting death card, thank you for sharing it with us.

I used the information you gave about and found a few bits, but I will be the first to admit that my Kriegsmarine knowledge is not the best.

S = Schnellboot (E boat/fast boat) and R = Räumboote (minesweeper)

6th – 13th June 1944
    Canal / North Sea -

In the night of 12./13.6. The S-boats S 150, S 167, S 138 and S 142 break through the destroyer lines of the "Dixie" patrol at Cape Barfleur with the support of the shore batteries at Cape Barfleur. A destroyer group engages in combat with Glaisdale off Le Havre (Norwegian), Stevenstone and Isis, S 138 is damaged. — S 100, S 84 and S 143 (5th S Flotilla) and S 169 , S 173, S 188 , S 171 and S 172 (4th S-Flottille) depart from Le Havre, are attacked by fighter-bombers and engaged in a skirmish with security vehicles, including the kanad. Corvettes Camrose , Baddeck and Louisburg involved. After a mine hit, S 169 turns back. — The 2nd S-Flotilla sails from Le Havre to Boulogne with 4 boats, escapes the Canada. 29th MTB Flotilla, but is attacked before entering by "Strike Wing" beaufighters of RAF Sq. 143 and 236. S 178, S 189 and the R 97, which was deployed to help S 179, are sunk one after the other S 179 must be abandoned. S 181 , M 402 and R 99 are damaged. — From Le Havre, T 28 and Möwe unsuccessfully attack the destroyers Stord and Scorpion.
    Seekrieg 1944, Juni

S178 06/13/1944 Gun hits off Boulogne by British Beaufighter
    S179 06/13/1944 Gun hits off Boulogne by British Beaufighter
    S189 06/13/1944 Gun hits off Boulogne by British Beaufighter
    Die Schnellboot-Seite - S-Boote - Kriegsmarine - Verluste

R-97, S178, S179, S189
    List of shipwrecks in June 1944 - Wikipedia

Kind regards,

Will.

Thank you for the additional info! I’m guessing he was on one of the four boats that got bombed.
    Last edited by Heartfeltzero; 09-02-2022 at 03:18 PM.

I am happy to help.

It is quite possible he was on one of those vessels because the dates and area match up. Unfortunately I couldn't find a casualty card for him because that may have had the information to confirm this.

Could not find a card for him either, did search including Sangatte/Boulogne as well for those dates without success. The German graves were moved from Sangatte after the war.

Someone on a different site found this. According to it, he was on board the S-178

HMA

Quote by Heartfeltzero View Post
    Someone on a different site found this. According to it, he was on board the S-178

HMA
    I looked on the Marine Archiv as well, but I was searching Fritz rather than Friedrich. Glad you found the vessel he was on.