Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Is this a WW2 German map?

Article about: My mate recently accidentally bought this map at auction - he was watching a live auction online and his phone froze. As he was busy tapping on the screen to bring it back to life he inadver

Default Is this a WW2 German map?

My mate recently accidentally bought this map at auction - he was watching a live auction online and his phone froze. As he was busy tapping on the screen to bring it back to life he inadvertently bid
    I’ve had a look and can’t see any dates or anything else that would help date it, although it was listed as a WW2 map. It clearly has some age to it.

It came with another map which was clearly fake as it was covered in ink stamps and a wax seal
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a WW2 German map?   Is this a WW2 German map?  

Is this a WW2 German map?   Is this a WW2 German map?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this a WW2 German map?
    P
    Many

It certainly looks old. The key pays particular attention to things like factories, gasworks, train stations and barracks, as well as various types of bridges. It could be a military map denoting those as targets, but it could also be a survey map of some kind. I don't see anything to suggest it's fake, though perhaps it was paired with the other one in an attempt to pass it off as wartime?

B.B.

I would say it is wartime given the "nur für den Dienstgebrauch" marking.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Many thanks, luckily it only cost him £15. His first, and likely to be last, purchase at auction!

Grimebox; I think those maps were tourist guides that the Germans republished as a military map during the German occupation of the city in WW2. The edited military version featured the directive, Nur für den Dienstgebrauch (For official use only) that Adrian noted in his post. And BrordieBartfast noted, “The key pays particular attention to things like factories, gasworks, train stations and barracks, as well as various types of bridges. It could be a military map denoting those as targets….” I think he is right about those named places being targets. They could also be places that the Germans would have to occupy and control if the situation required it. As such, the list is indicative of a military map.
    The General Guide, or Key, provides general information about Louvain and has little content that would have interested the German Occupation forces in Louvain. Here is a translation of the General Guide
    Louvain, city of 38,000 inhabitants, on either side of the Dyle, which is connected to its lower course, the Rupel, by a canal, is still surrounded by the medieval moats that have been converted into promenades. The city-center that was destroyed in the World War, namely between the market and the train station, has been rebuilt. The provincial town has become very quiet, and enjoys a reputation beyond the Belgian borders for its university. The industries located here include breweries, iron foundries, flour, starch and furniture factories.
    But, the Einzel Objekte list is made-up of important government buildings:
    Stadthaus, a Building in which the city administration was located.
    Bahnhof, the train station
    Postamt, the Postoffice building
    Justice Palace, the courthouse
    Police Verwaltung the HQ for the city police
    Kaserne St. Martin, St. Martin Barracks
    Kaserne Universitäts Platz, University Place Barracks
    Kaserene Namur Straß, Namur Street Barracks
    Standort Lazarett, the Hospital
    Lagerhäuser Warehouses
    Gaswerk, the facility that controlled the delivery of natural gas to the city
    Schlachthof, a Slaughterhouse (I have no idea as to why this building is listed.)
    Lagerdauer I think that this translates as long-term Storage

Is this a WW2 German map?
    This is a tourist guide map that was published in 1889. It is very similar to the one Grimebox posted

[CENTER]Is this a WW2 German map?
    This is the city center in WW1 The damage was caused by aerial bombing and artillery Dwight
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a WW2 German map?  

Thank you very much for such a detailed and comprehensive reply. I will forward it on to my friend. Many thanks again

Despite the occasional written "argy bargy" that goes on here, ( as it does on ANY forum ) there are still decent folk who provide (free ) their knowledge to others ......
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Despite the occasional written "argy bargy" that goes on here, ( as it does on ANY forum ) there are still decent folk who provide (free ) their knowledge to others ......
    Very true and I would like to add that my friend asked me to pass his thanks on, he was very grateful for the information.