Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Berlin Brigade Challenge Coin

Article about: Hi all. I purchased this to go with my small collection of items relating to Allied forces in Berlin (1945- 1994). I was wondering if there is any way to authenticate these. I see that simil

Default Berlin Brigade Challenge Coin

Hi all. I purchased this to go with my small collection of items relating to Allied forces in Berlin (1945- 1994). I was wondering if there is any way to authenticate these. I see that similar designs are being reproduced but have not seen a reproduction of this version as such. It appears to have some wear to it. Any opinions would be welcome. Many thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Berlin Brigade Challenge Coin   Berlin Brigade Challenge Coin  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Berlin Brigade Challenge Coin
    P
    Many

?

Definitely not a fake, it appears to have some age. The berlin brigade was active for multiple years so it could be from any of that time. I think its more likely 90s period though. The older challenge coins i've seen from the 60s usually have hand painted enamel

...never seen one of these before......some idea of scale would be helpful.....'not asking to re-photo it...what's it as big as please? 50p (new), £1, half-a-crown?, a man hole cover? :-)

Thanks for the comments guys. Regarding the size, the nearest thing I can think to compare it to is one of those commemorative £5 coins.

....never seen one of those...but I get the idea - thank you.

I did see a £5 note once :-)

Think I saw one the other day too..... Wasn't mine though.

Heres a site showing a few more styles of Berlin Brigade challenge coin, including the one I have shown.

Challenge Coins

- - ------- - -

Think I saw one the other day too..... Wasn't mine though.

Heres a site showing a few more styles of Berlin Brigade challenge coin, including the one I have shown.

http://www.western-allies-berlin.com/collectables/coins/coins

Going through old posts and I saw this coin..

I was awarded a coin similar to this one in 1987 and again in 1988 by the Berlin Brigade Deputy Commanding General for meritorious service as a member of the Brigades Expert Infantryman Test committee. There were other brigade coins that were awarded for marksmanship excellence, Physical training excellence and Skills Qualification Testing (SQT) excellence.. If a Soldier received all three coins in a period they would be awarded the coveted "Triad Coin" which was a gold version of the coin pictured above, signifying that the Soldier had excelled in all three of the Brigades primary focuses on marksmanship, physical readiness and job skill proficiency..

When I have some time I will get my Berlin Coins out to show everyone

Smitty

As promised here are some of my Berlin Coins that I was awarded..

I was awarded a total of 5 marksmanship coins for perfect score 40 out of 40 hits. Targets ranged in distance from 50 to 300 meters, and the firing positions were in the prone (unsupported) and foxhole (unsupported). I also received a certificate of achievement with each coin. You will notice that I posted 2 certificates for the Marksmanship TRIAD coin. One was when I qualified expert with my M16A1 rifle and then when we converted to the M16A2 rifle and I qualified expert was again awarded coins for perfect scores.

The next TRIAD coin was for individual skills excellence where I scored a 96% on the SQT (Skills qualification test). No certificate was issued with this coin.

I did not score high enough on the Physical Fitness tests to be awarded the PT TRIAD Coin.

The Berlin Brigade Commanders Coin was awarded for my service on the EIB (Expert Infantry Badge) Test site. Brigadier General Marsh awarded the coin, I also received a letter of commendation and certificate of achievement. I was on the test committee 2 years in a row and was awarded the same coins and certificates.

The 750th Anniversary of Berlin Coin was given to Soldiers who were in attendance with President and Mrs. Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Birthday Party. I also attached the accompanying Birthday Party Invitation I received.

I placed watermarks on my certificates since these are hard to find as the Berlin Brigade no longer exists and I don't want them copied.

Hope you enjoy

Not sure why they got out of sequence.. Oh well, se la vie..

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Berlin Brigade Challenge Coin   Berlin Brigade Challenge Coin  

Berlin Brigade Challenge Coin   Berlin Brigade Challenge Coin  

Attached Images Attached Images Berlin Brigade Challenge Coin  Berlin Brigade Challenge Coin  Berlin Brigade Challenge Coin 

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    As promised here are some of my Berlin Coins that I was awarded..

I was awarded a total of 5 marksmanship coins for perfect score 40 out of 40 hits. Targets ranged in distance from 50 to 300 meters, and the firing positions were in the prone (unsupported) and foxhole (unsupported). I also received a certificate of achievement with each coin. You will notice that I posted 2 certificates for the Marksmanship TRIAD coin. One was when I qualified expert with my M16A1 rifle and then when we converted to the M16A2 rifle and I qualified expert was again awarded coins for perfect scores.

The next TRIAD coin was for individual skills excellence where I scored a 96% on the SQT (Skills qualification test). No certificate was issued with this coin.

I did not score high enough on the Physical Fitness tests to be awarded the PT TRIAD Coin.

The Berlin Brigade Commanders Coin was awarded for my service on the EIB (Expert Infantry Badge) Test site. Brigadier General Marsh awarded the coin, I also received a letter of commendation and certificate of achievement. I was on the test committee 2 years in a row and was awarded the same coins and certificates.

The 750th Anniversary of Berlin Coin was given to Soldiers who were in attendance with President and Mrs. Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Birthday Party. I also attached the accompanying Birthday Party Invitation I received.

I placed watermarks on my certificates since these are hard to find as the Berlin Brigade no longer exists and I don't want them copied.

Hope you enjoy

Not sure why they got out of sequence.. Oh well, se la vie..

Smitty
    Nice things to keep Smitty,

we just got "passed" marked next to the date and a signature on our Q&R (Qualification and Records)

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."