Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British C7 Civilian Respirator (Cold War)

Article about: another rare/interesting pickup from the weekend at Overlord Show the British C7 Respirator, this might get a bit long because these do require a bit of explaining: During the Early 1950s th

Default British C7 Civilian Respirator (Cold War)

another rare/interesting pickup from the weekend at Overlord Show the British C7 Respirator, this might get a bit long because these do require a bit of explaining:
    During the Early 1950s there was much concern in Britain about what would happen if the Cold War ever went hot, the government decided to Embark on a program to make a Civilian respirator to issue to every member of the population (very much like they had during ww2) and the result was this thing, for all intents and purposes this is a General Civilian respirator from ww2 with added extras like actual Plexiglass eyepieces (rather than a celluloid window) and an Exhale valve and Upgraded filter, for whatever reason the programme was canned (some speculate from cost others they knew it'd be pointless in a nuclear exchange) and most of the remaining C7s were recalled and destroyed/recycled, these days these are pretty rare beasts, the specifics about my example then, this one is a Size 1 (Small) and made by Leyland Birmingham Rubber company in May of '54
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British C7 Civilian Respirator (Cold War)   British C7 Civilian Respirator (Cold War)  

British C7 Civilian Respirator (Cold War)  
    Attached Images Attached Images British C7 Civilian Respirator (Cold War) 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement British C7 Civilian Respirator (Cold War)
    P
    Many

An uncommon respirator in good shape, nice find! It's funny how these have ended up being much less common and more expensive than WWII-era masks in the long run, of course due to the aforementioned production numbers. Comparable to the Avon C2 'Mickey Mouse' respirator in rarity, and severely underrated as a collectible.

B.B.

I got lucky on the price of this one the guy only wanted £50. Which sounds steep but the last one I saw got to £90ish on eBay

Quote by Wolf793 View Post
    I got lucky on the price of this one the guy only wanted £50. Which sounds steep but the last one I saw got to £90ish on eBay
    I've seen them go for a lot more than that, so lucky is an understatement! Always nice when you can snag a rare gem at a decent price.

B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    I've seen them go for a lot more than that, so lucky is an understatement! Always nice when you can snag a rare gem at a decent price.

B.B.
    I should probably also say it came with original safety pins for the head harness wrapped in brown paper, I want to find a carrier for it but apparently the bags are even rarer than the masks, the only one I've ever seen was on another gas mask forum but to have a complete kit would be nice.