Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

French Lizard camouflage TAP 47/56 Trousers

Article about: Hello everyone. Here is a recent addition to the French collection of post ww2 uniforms and equipment. This time we have an example of the TAP (Troupes AéroPortées) 47/56 trousers. This is

Default French Lizard camouflage TAP 47/56 Trousers

Hello everyone.

Here is a recent addition to the French collection of post ww2 uniforms and equipment. This time we have an example of the TAP (Troupes AéroPortées) 47/56 trousers. This pattern saw extensive service with French Airborne and Commando units in Algeria and elsewhere. The trousers are a good size with a waist that is about about 38 inches and a leg length of around 32 inches.

Front -

Rear -

Research on French collecting forums tells me that the two pockets at the rear date them to before 1961, because after this date the trousers were produced with only the right rear pocket.

Example of post 1961 trousers with one rear pocket -
    Pantalon TAP 47/56

Side details -

Draw string at the ankle -

Stamps -

Although it is hard to see from the photo, there is a faint maker stamp which reads APPOURCHAUX and the place name of BETHUNE. To the right of this, the ubiquitous NH stamp is present (the NH abbreviation stands for non hydrofugé = not water-repellent). Stamped on the inside of both rear pockets is TRAONOUEZ, which I have seen stamped in the same place on other TAP 47/56 trousers. Further research indicts that this stamp belonged to a major French film procurement/costume department.

Examples of the TRAONOUEZ stamp on other military uniforms -
    Lizard Tap Trousers-UNISSUED
    The Collector's Guild
    French Uniforms and Equipment - Uniforms, Belts and Buckles - Treasure Bunker Forum

Link to the French Lizard camouflage TAP 47/56 Jacket in the collection -
    French Lizard camouflage TAP 47/56 Jacket

Kind regards,

Will.
    Last edited by Willmore; 10-09-2023 at 07:06 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement French Lizard camouflage TAP 47/56 Trousers
    P
    Many

A quick photo of the TAP uniform collection so far. Jacket, trousers and an example of a TAP56 helmet, which has a 1973 dated shell and a 1955 dated liner.

Nice example! I have an early type mint pair of TAP 47/56 trousers in my size, I'll have to check for that prop department stamp. I also have an original M51 TAP helmet, but those chinstraps aren't exactly comfortable and I never liked the shape of the M51 so I display my TAP 47/56 on a mannequin with a standard M1 instead.

Quote by earlymb View Post
    Nice example! I have an early type mint pair of TAP 47/56 trousers in my size, I'll have to check for that prop department stamp. I also have an original M51 TAP helmet, but those chinstraps aren't exactly comfortable and I never liked the shape of the M51 so I display my TAP 47/56 on a mannequin with a standard M1 instead.
    Hi earlymb.

Thanks for the comment. I am familiar with your mannequin setup, it is really nice.

I do not know if this is true, but a while ago I read on a French forum that soldiers preferred wearing the M51 over the M1 helmet. This was because the larger flared rim was better at stopping rain from going down the back of the neck.

Kind regards,

Will.