Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Opinion needed on this British SAS beret

Article about: Hi, need some opinions on this ?80s' Era? British Special Air Service beret. Thank You.

Default Opinion needed on this British SAS beret

Hi, need some opinions on this ?80s' Era? British Special Air Service beret. Thank You.Opinion needed on this British SAS beretOpinion needed on this British SAS beretOpinion needed on this British SAS beret

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinion needed on this British SAS beret
    P
    Many

It looks perfectly good to me and the cloth headband was replaced by the return to leather in the late '80s - early '90s depending on regimental turnover of stock. I can't make out the full contract number but that type of paper label tends to indicate later rather than earlier therefore not '70s for sure. So I think you are correct as to period. It's a shame about the rip in the headband but this is a rare item and with skilful handling it will display well enough.

The embroidered badges are very subjective with very many "after market" items out there but this one looks right from these pics and as the beret is right it is a good bet that the badge is too.

Just for interest do you know anything about any provenance?

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 02-18-2023 at 01:48 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I agree with Mark, it all looks fine, date from the code is mid 60's to 1979
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    I agree with Mark, it all looks fine, date from the code is mid 60's to 1979
    Thanks Jerry I agree with the dating. My memory might have been failing me as I thought it was slightly later but your comment has reminded me of berets marked in this way that I was issued between 1975 - 80 (over 40 years ago! )! Time flies when you're having fun right?

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 02-20-2023 at 01:01 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."