Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Mittens Named To Decorated Soldier

Article about: Hello, The mittens are a common Korean War-vintage item, however, they are interesting in that they belonged to a highly decorated career soldier who served in the Vietnam War. I've included

?

Default Mittens Named To Decorated Soldier

Hello,

The mittens are a common Korean War-vintage item, however, they are interesting in that they belonged to a highly decorated career soldier who served in the Vietnam War. I've included some background information about Lt. Colonel Sabatini who passed away in Hampton, Va. several years ago. He may have been issued these when he began his service in the late 1950s (and stationed in Korea?), but never wore them based on the manufacturers tag that is still attached to the inserts. Given his awards, he distinguished himself in Vietnam. I'm wondering if the "SF-47" that is stamped in the mitten with his name stands for U.S. Special Forces and could be correspond to his list of decorations? If anyone has some insight, I would appreciate it. Thanks for any comments or information.

JOHN SABATINI OBITUARY
    HAMPTON - LT COL John Joseph Sabatini, US Army, retired, 78, died on Veterans' Day, November 11, 2014. A native of Jersey City, NJ, he had been a Hampton resident since 1985. He was a career military officer and enlisted in the Army at the age of 13. He was on his way to Korea when his father found him and brought him home. His Army career spanned 40 years and he retired in January 1997. He was a great history buff, especially Civil War history, enjoyed metal detecting, and was a member of the VFW, AMVETS, and the Military Order of the Purple Heart. His many citations included the Silver Star, Bronze Star with combat distinguished device "V" (6th award), Bronze Star Medal (2nd award), The Purple Heart, Air Medal with palm, and Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Silver Star.

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mittens Named To Decorated Soldier   Mittens Named To Decorated Soldier  

Mittens Named To Decorated Soldier   Mittens Named To Decorated Soldier  

Mittens Named To Decorated Soldier   Mittens Named To Decorated Soldier  

Attached Images Attached Images Mittens Named To Decorated Soldier  Mittens Named To Decorated Soldier 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mittens Named To Decorated Soldier
    P
    Many