Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

North Vietnamese Flag with Cyrillic Markings

Article about: While sorting through old gunshow acquisitions, I re-discovered this North Vietnamese flag, which has Cyrillic markings and is dated 1969. The flag is double-sided, approximately 5 .7 feet b

Default North Vietnamese Flag with Cyrillic Markings

While sorting through old gunshow acquisitions, I re-discovered this North Vietnamese flag, which has Cyrillic markings and is dated 1969. The flag is double-sided, approximately 5 .7 feet by 9 feet. It is constructed of the same material that I have seen on Soviet naval ensigns. I am hoping that one of my fellow members is able to translate the wording and account for the apparent Soviet connection. Did the Soviets make all of their (N. Vietnamese) flags? Thanks in advance!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture North Vietnamese Flag with Cyrillic Markings   North Vietnamese Flag with Cyrillic Markings  

North Vietnamese Flag with Cyrillic Markings   North Vietnamese Flag with Cyrillic Markings  

North Vietnamese Flag with Cyrillic Markings  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement North Vietnamese Flag with Cyrillic Markings
    P
    Many

Can't help with the translation but one explanation might be the practice of naval and merchant marine vessels carrying a flag for the country they will visit. Russian ships presumably carried a North Vietnam flag to display when in port in Vietnam. Finding the appropriate flag on ship would be made easier by naming the country, and i've seen that on other flags. Flying the wrong flag never goes down well with hosts.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Can't help with the translation but one explanation might be the practice of naval and merchant marine vessels carrying a flag for the country they will visit. Russian ships presumably carried a North Vietnam flag to display when in port in Vietnam. Finding the appropriate flag on ship would be made easier by naming the country, and i've seen that on other flags. Flying the wrong flag never goes down well with hosts.
    I agree this is likely a maritime flag but either way it's a Russian import. Although I think the marking may well be a makers name. It looks something like "A. NANTERPENAN" but I could just be making that up

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

It say "gapanterionnaya", hard to understand some letters. Closest translate is "From who?", but it can mean name also. With Google I do not find anything, closest what I find is Gapan city in Philippines.

Quote by Finngaill View Post
    It say "gapanterionnaya", hard to understand some letters. Closest translate is "From who?", but it can mean name also. With Google I do not find anything, closest what I find is Gapan city in Philippines.
    Well, that seems pretty close to the word (and forms of it) "garanteed" so perhaps a warranty marking of sorts?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks to all of the members for your comments, they are appreciated.