Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Some more VietNam Zippos

Article about: Picked up another two Vietnam era Zippo's. Bringing my collection to three. One is your typical example engraved to Sgt Lake, aka "Chilly". He added a less than politically correct

MAP
    ?

Default Some more VietNam Zippos

Picked up another two Vietnam era Zippo's. Bringing my collection to three.

One is your typical example engraved to Sgt Lake, aka "Chilly". He added a less than politically correct phrase on the back that would not be acceptable today but certainly highlights the views and emotions of the era. This one has 3 dashes preceding the Zippo logo followed by two dashes, indicating it is a 1969 manufacturer.

The next one is what I think is a very cool piece. Engraved with Air America on the front and Air Vietnam on the back. From what I can tell from the dot's on the bottom it is dated to 1962. So quite early. For those who are not familiar, Air America was an American passenger and cargo airline established in 1946 and covertly owned and operated by the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) from 1950 to 1976. It supplied and supported covert operations in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War.

(Steve - Don't worry...left you the 101st Airborne for the Feb show)

Some more VietNam Zippos

Some more VietNam Zippos

Some more VietNam Zippos

Some more VietNam Zippos

Some more VietNam Zippos

Some more VietNam Zippos

Some more VietNam Zippos

Some more VietNam Zippos

Some more VietNam Zippos
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Some more VietNam Zippos
    P
    Many

CBH
    ?

That Air America lighter is sweet.
    Great group.

?

Nice pick up's
    That Air America one is a WINNER!

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Quote by CBH View Post
    That Air America lighter is sweet.
    Great group.
    Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Nice pick up's
    That Air America one is a WINNER!

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Thanks Gents. I saw this back at the Sept show. Glad the dealer still had it in the case today. It didn't come cheap but worth the wait and premium. A cool piece!

I can see how these can get addictive

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Very nice items mate , I always wanted to collect some but all that I see down here in Oz are fakes .
    Pretty good fakes at that and am sure catch a lot of people out .
    Cheers Rick

MAP
    ?

Quote by Rick W View Post
    Very nice items mate , I always wanted to collect some but all that I see down here in Oz are fakes .
    Pretty good fakes at that and am sure catch a lot of people out .
    Cheers Rick
    Thanks Rick

I rarely see them here either but the one dealer had around a dozen or so.

But I guess easier to find here in the US given that the vets brought them home.

?

I'm going to play devils advocate. My personal opinion, unless one of these lighters has rock-solid provenance, I would only buy them as a novelty, and not a lighter purchased/engraved during the period by/for a vet who served during Vietnam.

My understanding is, these are still being churned out with hand engraving, using NOS Zippo lighters, so you can't even trust dating the engraving by the logo, only the lighter itself.

For example, lot of 11 NOS Zippos from 1970 being offered on eBay.

NO. 1615 H. P. Ribbon NOS 11 Lighters In Store Box Mint | eBay

I'm not posting this to put down your collection, but more as a cautionary tale to be careful when buying them. I hope that Map's lighters are all authentic, and he purchased them at a bargain price.

MAP
    ?

Thanks. It certainly is possible. And if fake, they've done a great job. The useage, wear and patina looks legit, the in "innards" show honest age, plating loss from being pulled out repeatedly to refill, etc.

No provenance on them but in hand I'm not seeing red flags. Again, anything is possible.

I've known the dealer too for a number of years too. Not a fly by night guy and sells all high quality US items.

Quote by Masonk View Post
    I'm going to play devils advocate. My personal opinion, unless one of these lighters has rock-solid provenance, I would only buy them as a novelty, and not a lighter purchased/engraved during the period by/for a vet who served during Vietnam.

My understanding is, these are still being churned out with hand engraving, using NOS Zippo lighters, so you can't even trust dating the engraving by the logo, only the lighter itself.

For example, lot of 11 NOS Zippos from 1970 being offered on eBay.

NO. 1615 H. P. Ribbon NOS 11 Lighters In Store Box Mint | eBay

I'm not posting this to put down your collection, but more as a cautionary tale to be careful when buying them. I hope that Map's lighters are all authentic, and he purchased them at a bargain price.
    Just whacking in pics from evilbay! I do love a Zippo!!