Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Vietnam M1 Helmet

Article about: I added this one to my collection a few days ago. My first Vietnam War piece! Items from the conflict are not commonly found in the UK, or at least nowhere near as common as they are in the

Default Vietnam M1 Helmet

I added this one to my collection a few days ago. My first Vietnam War piece! Items from the conflict are not commonly found in the UK, or at least nowhere near as common as they are in the States. I was sent an offer for this one, so I gladly picked it up.

The shell is a WWII-produced Schlueter with the heat stamp 513 A, with what appears to be its original cork-finished paint, though it's a few shades lighter than my bona fide WWII example. The Mitchell cover, with a contract number of 8189, can be dated to 1965. The elasticated band is a period correct one, lacking the cat's eyes seen on more modern bands. The chinstrap has anchor markings on the metal fittings, indicating it was made by North & Judd.

The liner is a P55, and it's seen better days! Made between 1955 and 1963, these liners are slightly less common than the P64 liners usually seen on Vietnam-era helmets. The leather sweatband is significantly later, with the DSA number indicating it was made in 1967. The liner chinstrap looks like a reproduction at first glance, but is in fact a mint/unissued original, most likely added at a later date by a previous collector owner. Of particular interest is the paintjob, featuring a white stripe and sergeant's chevrons at the front. Unfortunately, the fittings have torn and come away in places, though this doesn't affect the exterior appearance, and you'd expect this of a helmet that's seen hard battlefield use.

Vietnam M1 Helmet Vietnam M1 Helmet Vietnam M1 Helmet Vietnam M1 Helmet Vietnam M1 Helmet Vietnam M1 Helmet Vietnam M1 Helmet

For my first Vietnam lid and only my second M1 in general, I don't think I did too badly!

B.B.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Vietnam M1 Helmet
    P
    Many

Nice lid!
    John

Nice example for a Vietnam era helmet. The leather chinstrap was used but not commonly seen.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Thanks guys, and you’re right Marty. The leather chinstraps hardly appear at all in period photographs, which is what led me to believe this one is a recent replacement. I do think it looks better with it on, though.

B.B.

Wonderful helmet with an excellent breakdown of the components making it up. Great history in one post. Congrats!

Quote by 7againstthebes View Post
    Wonderful helmet with an excellent breakdown of the components making it up. Great history in one post. Congrats!
    Thanks! I try to make a detailed writeup for everything I post, to make them useful for people doing research. Things are always better with some context.

B.B.

Nice set B.B and welcome to the world of M1's.you won't be able to stop yourself now from getting another set.well done Bud......

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Nice set B.B and welcome to the world of M1's.you won't be able to stop yourself now from getting another set.well done Bud......
    I already have a WWII-spec Schlueter, so this one fits quite nicely alongside that one. I suspect you're right. Like most things in this hobby, it's only a matter of time before they start multiplying!

B.B.

Nice find.
    I've got a similar set up with a ww2 shell a Korean era liner and a VN era cover.
    I've been told that this kind of mismatch of parts is not all that uncommon.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    Nice find.
    I've got a similar set up with a ww2 shell a Korean era liner and a VN era cover.
    I've been told that this kind of mismatch of parts is not all that uncommon.
    If they still had it, and it was in serviceable condition, it made sense to use it. The liner in this one definitely saw a lot of use pre-Vietnam, and it must have been really hard use. It says something that it’s in worse shape than the liner on my WWII M1!

B.B.