Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Thomas T. Wittman - German Dress Daggers Books

Article about: Hello All! I am new to collecting, bar two German medals I got over a year ago. I am interested in picking up a couple of German Dress Daggers and as such shopped around for good reference m

Default Thomas T. Wittman - German Dress Daggers Books

Hello All! I am new to collecting, bar two German medals I got over a year ago. I am interested in picking up a couple of German Dress Daggers and as such shopped around for good reference material. I picked up all four volumes of Thomas Wittman's "Exploring the German Dress Daggers of..." series. However further research into Mr. Wittman has left me questioning if these are good reference books on German Daggers. Given his current reputation issues, would the other members of this forum consider these books good reference material for a new collector of German daggers? Any help/advice is appreciated as well as other good reference book suggestions.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thomas T. Wittman - German Dress Daggers Books
    P
    Many

This thread in our forums reference library shows many good books, none of them will be perfect.
    Daggers, Swords, and Bayonets of the Third Reich
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I agree as well with Ralph..." None will be perfect "...but your part will be to read and study through what is useful and compare to other daggers in examination of details.

You can start with reding through threads and viewing photos ....then if the opportunity arises connect with other like minded collectors as you have already done by joining this Website.
    Militairia shows as well if some come into your area and inhand examination.

The journey is long and requires a considerate amount of effort and time on your part.
    The books and this community are a great start.

I have all 4 volumes as well including other Edged Weapon related references.....The answers are all in the details ...and those details are discussed throughout many threads on this website.
    Begin your journey

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I just posted some reference books from another individual Thomas M. Johnson.

He has several books published to include some that are listed in our Library Section. The last 4 books that I posted are more of a photographic reference. His earlier books on the edged weapons have more of the manufacturing information and history behind each of the organizations. I can only echo what others have said that you will have to do research as books have good and bad points and there will never be one all inclusive book with all the information you want/need. There is no right science to having "THE ONE AND ONLY BOOK" that is why many of us have multiple sources and references we rely on.

Smitty