Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

1945 dated TR ashtray. Real?

Article about: Hello all, this is an ashtray that was given to me by my uncle who got it while stationed in German in the early 70's. It is stamped with a unit name and large "H" but is it real o

Default 1945 dated TR ashtray. Real?

Hello all, this is an ashtray that was given to me by my uncle who got it while stationed in German in the early 70's. It is stamped with a unit name and large "H" but is it real or just a tourist knockoff? Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1945 dated TR ashtray. Real?   1945 dated TR ashtray. Real?  

1945 dated TR ashtray. Real?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1945 dated TR ashtray. Real?
    P
    Many

Cool piece, looks to be a piece of trench art.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

Why would a THIRD REICH ash tray have “GERMANY” on the ash tray rather than “DEUTSCHLAND”

I am not sure what this piece is.

It would appear to be a bit of American ware made after the cessation of hostilities.

The US 5th Infantry Regiment fought in southern Germany which is where Fischach is. Unfortunately, I cant find what units were in that town. Now I see it is actually US, not German. Thanks for the quick responses!

US 7th Army fought through the area, including 36th Infantry Div," Lone Star" so it could also belong to any US unit that came through the town at the time or later occupied it after the fighting ended.

The 5th Infantry Regiment was part of the 71st Infantry Division. Here is a link to a free downloadable history of the Division; "The history of the 71st Infantry Division" by United States Army, Fred Clinger et al. I am sure it will give you a better idea of what the ashtray represents. The ashtray looks to me to be well-made example of trench art, probably made when the regiment was on occupation duty after the war. If it is of any help, Company H was in the 3rd Battalion. The other two infantry regiments in the 71st were the 14th and the 66th. The 71st Division's occupation area was centered on Augsburg, and Fischach is about 14 miles west by south from Augsburg. Dwight
    Last edited by drmessimer; 08-15-2019 at 12:57 AM.