Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941

Article about: I always enjoy finding personal items and any accessories related to smoking are amongst the most interesting. The three pieces in the photographs below have been in my collection for a long

Default WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941

I always enjoy finding personal items and any accessories related to smoking are amongst the most interesting. The three pieces in the photographs below have been in my collection for a long time, each coming from very different sources....and each with it's secrets!

The wooden cigarette case is really fascinating and shows genuine signs of honest wear. The craftsmanship is very good, but not beyond the skills of a soldier in his "freizeit." The case is clearly marked "Souvenir Schneidemuhl 1941" on one side, and what appears to be monogram initials on the reverse. There is a sizable crack at the top of the case but it is secure as it is and no attempt at "repair" has been made. There are several dark stains on one end of the case, appearing to possibly be from liquid or perhaps fire. One thing I have found very intriguing about this case are the oversized, prominent "S"s featured on the words "Souvenir Schneidemuhl." It does appear there was a detachment of Allgemeine-SS stationed in Schneidemuhl, the 77th SS-Standarte, until 1943. I have always wondered if there was a connection between this case and the unit stationed in Schneidemuhl, can anyone else shed some light on this mystery??

The brass cigarette case is also very interesting and possibly more mysterious than the first. I acquired this case from a friend who served in the US Marine Corps during the early phases of the Iraq War in 2004, he purchased this case from a street vendor during his off time. He assumed it was a "knockoff" and I did as well, but after I added the piece to my collection I was able to compare it more closely with other Third Reich era pieces and di find an interesting similarity. The details and color tone of the Black Wound Badge that is affixed to the front of the case are nearly identical to that of a genuine, well worn example I have on hand. All of the fine details are present and the dimensions are practically the same. It strongly appears that the badge on the case could be an original example that has been modified for attachment. As this is quite a common badge it's not something terribly exceptional, but the case's provenance raises interesting questions about it's past. The case does appear to be old construction, possibly from the 40s to the 60s. The only markings I can find on it are the number "40" stamped on the interior of each side of the case. The pattern on the exterior of the case is strong and detailed, but I cannot easily identify it. As it is, the piece already has a great story and a happy place in my collection, but I am curious to see what others can add to the dialog!

The cigarette light appears to be a Zunder 1000 Mylflam lighter, marked with a "DRP" Deutsches Reichtspatent stamp. I found this piece mixed in with the belongings of a US Army soldier who served in the ETO during the War. The lighter shows heavy wear but no signs of abuse. It is clean and still appears to function as you would expect but I have never attempted to use it. It certainly has the "been there" look, has anyone else encountered WW2 era lighters like this one?

WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 German Cigarette Cases & Lighter Schneidemuhl 1941
    P
    Many