Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Camo helmet SI62

Article about: Hi, what are the thoughts about the SI62 camo helmet? It’s heavily oiled at Some point for sure. I hope the pictures are good enough. The chinstrap is reproduction. Remy

Just to add, the thing that originally gave me pause and still does to a degree, is the yellow ochre colour which looks quite thinned out and a lot brighter than the more muted colours as though it may have been touched up at some point, however the wear seems to suggest otherwise. I put that down to the muted colours making the yellow look brighter, but also perhaps the paint job being rushed. In fact in areas it appears the black dividing lines may have been painted while the yellow was still wet as a few of the lines have a greenish hue from the yellow coming in from underneath.

If you are able to get any further photos without the flash and in good light it would be interesting to have a better look.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Camo helmet SI62
    P
    Many

Very nice stahlhelm Remy, the colours of the camouflage look good to me and condition is very good too.

?

Hi just keep coming back to this helmet. On a closer look, it has 3 main colours let's name them yellow, green & red/brown plus the outline black. I believe the helmet original color is part of the pattern. Not all the standard colours reached the troops. What I find interesting is that original shell colour looks more Austrian than German called "Isonzo braun". Before the Austrians manufactured their own helmets they were supplied with 15,000 German M16s. Remy's one is German for sure, now my theory, German troops came to help the Austrians when the Italians successfully breakthrough the Austrian lines a few times. Could this German M16 have been painted "Isonzo braun" at a certain time when German troops were sent on the Isonzo? 12 battles from June 1915 to November 1917! Again just my impression of that original colour more brown that grey/green. One way or the other the more I look at this helmet the nicer it gets.

Camo helmet SI62

Camo helmet SI62

German supplied Austrian M17 painted "Isonzo braun" for comparison.
    From Brendon's Helmets, see more: Austria M17 - Brendon's Helmets

Camo helmet SI62

Camo helmet SI62

?

Last thing, I don't want to hijack the thread but sometime one thing leads to another. The initial order of 15,000 German helmets for the Austrian Empire was only the tip of the iceberg. They received a total of 400,000 German made helmets (painted Austrian brown in Germany).
    They manufactured themselves 500,000 M17 helmets & 140,000 Berndorfer helmets.

A ran across this camouflaged Austrian M17, never saw any before.

Camo helmet SI62Camo helmet SI62Camo helmet SI62

@Jack - Thanks!

The pictures are taken with iphone and I don’t have a clue how to turn them the right way. For sure the helmet is cool and the paint job makes it interesting. I have a couple camo helmets and none of them (or in other collections ive seen) have this sloppy painting. Normally field grey is the basic color and I think on this helmet it’s not different. On the front you can see the fieldgrey where some rust spots coming true the paint. Therefore the helmet is oiled at Some point to prevent the rust imo. But correct me if i’m wrong. Thanks for all you’re input, I appriciate it verry much!

@Andy - I talked to another collector who told me the paint was problaby thinned at Some point but it was to thin and still they managed to keep on painting the helmet or batch of helmets. Like i mentioned before the helmet is oiled at Some point to prevent the rust therefore the shiny pictures. I have a couple more pictures and I will upload some in the afternoon but in the end i dont have much to worrie about. Thanks Andy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2