Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Camouflaged M16 steel helmet?

Article about: Hi, I recently came across this M16 steel helmet for sale and I was wondering about its authenticity, I would be very grateful for any insight. I am almost certain that the paint is not peri

?

Question Camouflaged M16 steel helmet?

Hi, I recently came across this M16 steel helmet for sale and I was wondering about its authenticity, I would be very grateful for any insight.

I am almost certain that the paint is not period-applied as it doesn't seem to comply with regulations and is too bright compared to the original examples I've seen.

However, I wonder if the shell is original.
    It looks to be in relatively poor condition. It also seems to have undergone some sort of a rust removal process which makes the surface appear rough, rust and dirt is present inside.
    Shape-wise it does not appear to look like any steel replica I have seen. The size "measured along the rivets" is 66cm according to the seller.

I will get in touch with the seller if you have any questions or requests. Thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Camouflaged M16 steel helmet?   Camouflaged M16 steel helmet?  

Camouflaged M16 steel helmet?   Camouflaged M16 steel helmet?  

Camouflaged M16 steel helmet?   Camouflaged M16 steel helmet?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Camouflaged M16 steel helmet?
    P
    Many

Hi Gonty,

It is an original M16 Imperial German shell, in size 66 or 68 but has been re-painted post war both inside and out. Looks to have been in somewhat of a relic condition prior to the painting.

Andy

+1
    we see the rust under the paint.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

The fact it is clearly an over painted rusted relic probably indicates someone's display piece project rather than an attempt to deceive.

?

Thank you all for your replies!