Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Full visor helmet

Article about: I already made a thread about this helmet a while ago, but unfortunately it died down pretty fast. So I decided to make a new one to post all the new information I managed to gather. I made

Default Full visor helmet

Full visor helmet Full visor helmet
    Full visor helmet

I already made a thread about this helmet a while ago, but unfortunately it died down pretty fast.

So I decided to make a new one to post all the new information I managed to gather. I made a file with all that: FULL VISOR HELMET - Google Docs

Please, if you have any information reply to this thread.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Full visor helmet
    P
    Many

Nice! I have read about these (in the Baer book I believe) but have never even seen a picture of one! Nice! Jim G.

?

Great helmet and fascinating link with detailed information. I've never seen this before. thanks for posting
    Regards, Al

MAP
    ?

Interesting. A variant I have never heard about before.

Too bad so little is known about them.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

helmet2id do you have any photo of the part where it is mentioned? Just a little thing like that would be very useful.

Also, I think I need to tell how I got this helmet.
    During the first months of 2020 I found it at 150€ on the Italian site Subito.it sold by Roberto Stevanin (a quite famous collector and seller in the Italian community, I suggest you to follow him on Instagram and Facebook). He usually sells Italian and Austrian stuff, so maybe this could link it to the photo of the Austrian soldier.
    At first I didn't know what really it was, actually it was my first German ww1 helmet so I would say that I have been quite lucky.

Anyways, I thought about asking where it came from to Stevanin, but it was a long time ago and sometimes old Italian collectors can be quite grumpy, especially when you you ask where they find their stuff.
    I could also contact the writers of the book "Stahlhelm: Evolution of the German Steel Helmet", but i think it would be quite difficult.

Great helmet! Wish I could help, this is the first time I've seen this variant. The google doc you put together is a nice collection of information and an interesting read, hopefully more info comes out soon.

Excellent helmet. Is it known where they were produced and in what numbers? Are there factory stamping? Or were these more or less handmade like the square dip helmet.

Unfortunately not. I didn't find any information about the numbers produced and the helmet doesn't seem to have any stamping. From what I managed to find, it seems that it was distributed among officers and in very few numbers, probably just to see if it could justify the change of the shape, and it seems that the normal m16 won, despite being a little bit more uncomfortable when wearing the gas mask.

I have seen only a couple of photos of this particular shell and they do appear to be very, very scarce. There was some discussion back in 2012 on this forum in the link below and with some great additional pictures. Certainly a great addition to any Imperial collection.

Strange visor/brim on German helmet

Andy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast